Hit a good buck. Tallow on the arrow?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

willy11674

Hit a good buck. Tallow on the arrow?

Unread postby willy11674 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:01 am

WI hit a good buck last night. Qaurtering to me. 45 yards with crossbow. Loud crack when bolt hit. Thought i missed and hit log but bolt was covere with tallow/fat and a little blood at the fletchings. HE took off tail down, stopped then slowly walked off. Followed good dark blood trail for about 60 yards after waiting an hour. backed out thinking that the tallow on the bolt meant a non lung or heart hit and gave him over night. also bolt was a complete pass through and burried in ground in a straight line past the deer, no deflection. Will an arrow or bolt that hits the brisket first and picks up a bunch of tallow then not be coated in blood when it exits. i'm going back out to look after work.

Wlog
500 Club

Re: Hit a good buck. Tallow on the arrow?

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:08 am

I think if you hit him in the brisket he may be still alive. That's a tough recovery at best.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:17 am

Wlog wrote:I think if you hit him in the brisket he may be still alive. That's a tough recovery at best.

X2

[ Post made via Android ] Image
willy11674

Unread postby willy11674 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:21 am

He was quartering pretty hard. Dont think i could have hit just briskit. Plus it went all the way through. if i hit low in the briskit where its mostly fat i wouldn't think he would have bled that much. Just wondering if an arrow covered in tallow would keep blood from coating it.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:27 am

I'm not saying to quit looking though. By all means track him till you know for sure. Yes I do think the tallow would make the arrow have less blood.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:28 am

I brisket shot one in 2012, tracked him the next morning for a mile. Eventually jumped him in the cattails alive and well. He bled, but the trail was sparse. Obviously I never hit vitals on my deer. I would think tallow could wipe the arrow fairly clean.

Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:55 pm

Good Luck hope you find him.
nater

Unread postby nater » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:06 am

I hit a doe low last year. I assumed I had missed her completely because after I shot she jumped back a little then continued to browse about 50 yards in front of me for 20-30 minutes before walking off. When I went to retrieve my arrow I saw what you describe...grease down the shaft of the arrow, a few specks of blood but nothing major, no blood on the ground, a few white hairs, etc..

Gave her a tiny cut on the brisket and nothing else. I'm sure she's still kicking around.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:50 am

willy11674 wrote:WI hit a good buck last night. Qaurtering to me. 45 yards with crossbow. Loud crack when bolt hit. Thought i missed and hit log but bolt was covere with tallow/fat and a little blood at the fletchings. HE took off tail down, stopped then slowly walked off. Followed good dark blood trail for about 60 yards after waiting an hour. backed out thinking that the tallow on the bolt meant a non lung or heart hit and gave him over night. also bolt was a complete pass through and burried in ground in a straight line past the deer, no deflection. Will an arrow or bolt that hits the brisket first and picks up a bunch of tallow then not be coated in blood when it exits. i'm going back out to look after work.

I am not sure how an arrow would hit the brisket first and then not be coated with blood when it exits. IME the tallow is at the bottom of the brisket.

Were you on the ground or in a treestand?

A loud crack typically means bone. On a hard quartering to shot you likely hit the shoulder blade. My guess is that you hit the shoulder blade and the arrow was deflected down picking up the tallow. Any hair at the hit location.? When you follow out the blood trail tomorrow you will have a better idea on how bad he is hurt. I hope that you find him in the morning.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:00 pm

Any update?
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:54 pm

Severe quartering to shot at 45 yards? Did you aim in front of the shoulder on that shot, only place I could think you could aim in that sinerio. Maybe hit shoulder and defected along the skin down its side? Low percentage shots result in low percentage results. Good luck.

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:54 am

There are some skeletal pics in this thread that might help you determine where you hit. There are also some guys who take that shot, maybe pm them since I don't see any of them responding to your post. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26540
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”