Newbie Ground Hunting Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SonofUlam

Newbie Ground Hunting Question

Unread postby SonofUlam » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:09 am

Where I live my house is surrounded by corn fields, and a large section is still not cut. The other day I waked down a two-track tractor road that goes through the middle of this standing corn. The soil is really sandy so it's easy to see prints. I could make out at least 4 distinct sets of tracks (different deer),but there might have been more. They were going both ways. Just for fun I brushed the tracks all clear (about 4pm) in an area. Checked on it the next day at the same time and at least 3 of the tracks were back already.

So now I'm thinking- should I try a ground hunt ambush style hunt from the corn? There's multiple challenges for me in that. 1- I'm very new to hunting, and have yet to ever shoot a deer, and have only stand hunted. 2- I don't own a ghillie suit and only have one pattern of camo and it looks nothing like corn.

So what do you think- is it worth my time? If so- how to I go about pulling this off? I have no idea how to ground hunt- thoughts?

(Also- Im still saving for my LW- so I really don't have a way to hunt the spot they might be headed (not sure where that is either)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

[glow=green]1 Chronicles 8:40, "The sons of Ulam were brave warriors who could handle the bow..."[/glow]
Terry
500 Club

Re: Newbie Ground Hunting Question

Unread postby Terry » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:19 am

Try it, you have nothing to lose. Make a small makeshift blind with corn stalks. In a situation like that, I would try to set up in a way that let's the deer walk by you before you draw.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:50 am

Are there any fencelines or is this mainly a large field? I've noticed a lot of deer bed just a couple of rows in the corn off fencelines and then when they get up they will walk the edge of the corn to get where they want to go. There are going to be a lot of variables hunting this way.

Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:54 am

Also kind of going off of what terry said, you can't hurt anything by hunting. You will find out a lot about how the deer move after the first sit. Then you can always adjust after that.

SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:26 am

Terry wrote:Try it, you have nothing to lose. Make a small makeshift blind with corn stalks. In a situation like that, I would try to set up in a way that let's the deer walk by you before you draw.

Should I try to set up a couple rows inside the corn (like 2-3?) and then shoot perpendicular (i.e. shooting "through" the corn) or something else?

The way this little "alley" runs (you should be able to see the two track on the picture) is it starts a little NE for about 30 yds then it goes straight East for at least 300 yds. For the first 50 yds or so are so has standing corn on both sides. Then its picked beans and cut corn on the N but standing corn on the south of the alley all the way to the timber. As I said earlier, I don't have any way to hang a stand in the timber (at least not as yet). Here's an aerial. Most of the tracks I saw seem to cut North along the still standing corn toward the timber to the North. However, at least 2-3 sets kept going toward the timber to the East.

Thanks for any help you seasoned ground hunters can give! I think I will try it, I just need some help on the best approach. :pray:

[glow=green]1 Chronicles 8:40, "The sons of Ulam were brave warriors who could handle the bow..."[/glow]
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:36 am

I would cut a some stalks to make a shooting lane that runs SW to NE. That way if he is approaching from the west, your out of view until he gets by you. See what I am saying? I would make it so you would have about a 15 yard shot. You wouldn't have much of a window, but it's better than nothing.

It would be pretty intrusive, so it might be a one and done kind of thing.

It's not something I have ever tried, I am just trying to think outside the box.

SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:06 am

Terry wrote:I would cut a some stalks to make a shooting lane that runs SW to NE. That way if he is approaching from the west, your out of view until he gets by you. See what I am saying? I would make it so you would have about a 15 yard shot. You wouldn't have much of a window, but it's better than nothing.

It would be pretty intrusive, so it might be a one and done kind of thing.

It's not something I have ever tried, I am just trying to think outside the box.

That's a good thought though. I might just have to try that. The more I think about it the more excited I get to try. It's not a question of whether the deer are using that alley, I think it's more a question of how I set up on them without spooking them but also giving myself a shot. I like your suggestion, thanks.
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:48 am

Let me know how it works out

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:34 am

Setting up in a corn field is tricky because you can only see right in front of you, won't have much time between seeing the deer and needing to shoot. I have done it a few times hunting and a lot of times sitting in the edge of corn while glassing deer in the summer.

I would recommend setting up at least 3 rows in so they don't pick you off and need to stay low almost on your belly waiting because you can see best within 2' of the ground in a corn field - no leaves close to the ground.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:53 am

Only problem is those tracks could be getting made at night.

Other than that, don't over think it. If the deer are there, go kill them. Think about where the tracks are, which way the wind is blowing and how to stay hidden while still having the ability to see the deer approaching and clear shooting.

Have fun.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:29 pm

Interesting development tonight. While classing fro my observation stand (aka- my deck which overlooks all this) right at grey light I spotted what appeared to be an absolute SLOB! it was at least 300yds away or more and hard to make out the antlers-but everything from the way he held himself, his width, I think it might be a huge buck. Either that or a real heifer of a doe. I'll take either one to be honest. He looked to be following a doe around (much, much smaller). They seemed to be making their way from the north timber toward where my ambush spot will be. So- as you said PK, they might not be making that far until dark..... But then again, I won't know until I get out there, right?

I'm reminded of the great Chris Farley line, 'so you're sayin there's a chance!?'

All really great advice- thanks guys. The idea of staying low makes a ton of sense too- it will be really tight and by the time they're close enough for a shot, even at 3 rows in they'll only be like 10yds away!

Can't wait to set this up! I'm going to try and set it up early afternoon and then sit that night and sat AM. Seems like that would be the best time right? I mean trying to cut some a shooting lane and construct a ground blind from corn in the AM would be too noisy and disruptive...right?

Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:09 pm

I've also heard of folks using stepladders in corn, but I've never tried it. I'm not sure what others think.

Anyway your hunt sounds exciting! Best of luck to you!

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:19 pm

SonofUlam wrote:Interesting development tonight. While classing fro my observation stand (aka- my deck which overlooks all this) right at grey light I spotted what appeared to be an absolute SLOB! it was at least 300yds away or more and hard to make out the antlers-but everything from the way he held himself, his width, I think it might be a huge buck. Either that or a real heifer of a doe. I'll take either one to be honest. He looked to be following a doe around (much, much smaller). They seemed to be making their way from the north timber toward where my ambush spot will be. So- as you said PK, they might not be making that far until dark..... But then again, I won't know until I get out there, right?

I'm reminded of the[glow=red]great Chris Farley line, 'so you're sayin there's a chance!?'[/glow]

All really great advice- thanks guys. The idea of staying low makes a ton of sense too- it will be really tight and by the time they're close enough for a shot, even at 3 rows in they'll only be like 10yds away!

Can't wait to set this up! I'm going to try and set it up early afternoon and then sit that night and sat AM. Seems like that would be the best time right? I mean trying to cut some a shooting lane and construct a ground blind from corn in the AM would be too noisy and disruptive...right?

You mean Jim Carrey :P … Unless Farley used it before Dumb and Dumber??

I would do the prep work during the day when there is a decent breeze, like you are saying. Sounds like a good plan.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:18 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:
SonofUlam wrote:Interesting development tonight. While classing fro my observation stand (aka- my deck which overlooks all this) right at grey light I spotted what appeared to be an absolute SLOB! it was at least 300yds away or more and hard to make out the antlers-but everything from the way he held himself, his width, I think it might be a huge buck. Either that or a real heifer of a doe. I'll take either one to be honest. He looked to be following a doe around (much, much smaller). They seemed to be making their way from the north timber toward where my ambush spot will be. So- as you said PK, they might not be making that far until dark..... But then again, I won't know until I get out there, right?

I'm reminded of the[glow=red]great Chris Farley line, 'so you're sayin there's a chance!?'[/glow]

You mean Jim Carrey :P … Unless Farley used it before Dumb and Dumber??

I would do the prep work during the day when there is a decent breeze, like you are saying. Sounds like a good plan.

Doh! Yup- that's the reference I meant. Let's hope my hunt goes better than my jokes!

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:28 pm

Definitely give it a try! If you aren't successful, analyze everything as far as why it didn't work out. The guys who posted previously gave you some solid advice. I've hunted quite a bit from standing corn and I always make an "X" formation for my lanes... if a deer is coming from your left, hide in the bottom left part of the X and shoot it after it gets past you and vice versa. Sometimes I'll make a separate path thru the corn for observation, (imagine a J hook from the field edge to the back side of the X)... in the right situation it works good to spot them a ways off then sneak back to your blind location.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”