All day sit

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigRed

All day sit

Unread postby BigRed » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:29 pm

I dont post much being a somewhat newbie to beast hunting but I come regularly to learn. The knowledge is second to none, thanks Dan and others for making this what it is. Im planning an all day sit saturday on public in SE Mn. I found a pretty solid spot and am wondering if I should sit all day in this spot or morning bed hunt, then hit a funnel mid day and then a bed in the evening. Id post a map but this land is fairly well known and could be figured out pretty easy I think. I have not stepped foot on the piece ? just cyber scouted it, so I could be wrong but it looks like a great all day sit candidate w the multiple funnels. A deep draw comes up and ends very close to a saddle just off a suspected bedding point running north. To the southeast is crops. Wind is supposed to be out of the southeast so my wind will blow down into the draw. Access would be up the draw. Would you stay put here all day? Or bed hunt the am known bedding elsewhere, adjust midday, then bed hunt the evening?

HoosierG5
500 Club

Re: All day sit

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:40 pm

I used to think about all day sits, but after reading on here I think moving because of thermals could really be better.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:18 pm

Thats what has me wondering Hoosier, but once the morning thermals kick in i should be near the tunnel being on the Leeward side. Also being fairly close to bedding, and at the top of a draw just off a saddle on the downwind side of food has me thinking I have the best of all worlds, so Im not sure what to do. My hunting is very limited this year so Im trying to get the most bang for my buck. No pun intended :lol:
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:34 pm

This time of year it pays to be mobile. If you notice the thermals or the wind or the movement isnt what you expected Id move to a more favorable spot. If all is good and you are confident in your spot stick it out!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:39 pm

I am planning on being in the woods all day saturday in Central Illinois. The wind is supposed to start off NNE in the AM and then move to SE in the AM. I have two spots that I m planning on sitting. One is a great funnel for the morning wind and another is a great spot downind from doe bedding that traditionally has good movement with a south wind. Personally, I think the term all day sit should now be referred to as "All day in the woods". I know of too many guys who sit in the same spot all day long even with the wind switching. They think they will spook all the deer if they move, little do they know they are spooking all the deer, they just aren't seeing them do it.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:40 pm

I would sit. Given the time of year and situation you described. Having your guard down at any time of the day during the rut in a good spot could be a huge mistake.

Now if it were pre-scouted with exact beds and kill trees picked out, the risk could be worth the reward…

Just my .02
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:02 pm

Correct, if the wind switches i will move, played that game before and it don't work. I think I'm gonna stay put and give it a run if the conditions permit. I could be wrong but its one of those spots on a map that could make for a cool day with the rut starting and with the orange army coming next weekend i wanna get it done.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”