River hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

metropig

River hunting

Unread postby metropig » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:11 am

I have the chance to hunt a piece of property this year that borders a large river. The land is flat running in an east/west direction. It is basically a strip of woods about 300 yards wide with the river on the north end. Its approximately 3 miles long. I did not have a chance to scout it prior to being able to hunt it. I hunt with a portable set up so I have hit about 6 different spots so far and I just scout as I go. I am shocked at the lack of buck or rut sign. I think I have seen maybe 5 rubs and I have not seen a scrape. There are good deer numbers in there and I saw a decent 135-140 inch 10 pt buck a few days ago.

The property has me stumped so far. I am used to hunting hills and ridges and I haven't been able to figure these deer out yet. There is no obvious food source around. They are relying on whats growing in the woods. There are very few oaks and I don't think there are any acorns left. There are some open spots in the woods but the ground is covered with 3 feet deep vines. A lot of thick stuff.

I know I will learn as I go but I wanted to see if any of you guys have had experience hunting similar conditions. Any advise is appreciated. I would put a pic of the property up here but the owner does not want me to.

Ghost Hunter

Re: River hunting

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:03 pm

Start by checking for low water crossings or low banks. Easy crossing points for deer. Then go from there.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:20 pm

What types of cover? Cattails, Russian Olives...

What type of trees?

Any steep bluffs?
metropig

Unread postby metropig » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:01 am

crankn101 wrote:What types of cover? Cattails, Russian Olives...

What type of trees?

Any steep bluffs?

It's a major fast moving river with a lot of industrial and commercial type boat traffic. Most of the places I have checked so far that but up to the river are a steep drop off. I don't think deer would try to cross this river unless their life depended on it. I'm not a great tree person if it's anything other than oaks and there are very few of those. A lot of the trees have vines that have been covering them for years. There are vines everywhere even covering the ground where there are openings in the woods. Most of the cover seems to be vines and blow downs. It's thick in spots where you cant move through it.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:20 am

metropig wrote:
crankn101 wrote:What types of cover? Cattails, Russian Olives...

What type of trees?

Any steep bluffs?

It's a major fast moving river with a lot of industrial and commercial type boat traffic. Most of the places I have checked so far that but up to the river are a steep drop off. I don't think deer would try to cross this river unless their life depended on it. I'm not a great tree person if it's anything other than oaks and there are very few of those. A lot of the trees have vines that have been covering them for years. There are vines everywhere even covering the ground where there are openings in the woods. Most of the cover seems to be vines and blow downs. It's thick in spots where you cant move through it.

I take it you are hunting near the Missouri river? Are there any bends in the miles you have access to? The bucks will be there regardless of the sign...Don't get hung up on that. The river is a perennial rut travel corridor and they will come through there. My guess is you will start seeing more sign as the month of November goes on. Find a pinch point, flat land hub where 3-5 trails come together, or hunt near the river bends if you have some present.
metropig

Unread postby metropig » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:11 pm

No bends where I'm at but I did talk to a guy that used to hunt it for a few years. He said that he never saw much sign there either. He said when the rut hits the bucks did come through there pushing the does hard.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”