Found a good one...now what?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HoosierG5
500 Club

Found a good one...now what?

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:28 pm

Well, just pulled some cards today and boom. Here he be

Is it worth scouting tomorrow instead of hunting does? My plotwatcher pro has does about every other night on it with the bucks in tow getting bigger and bigger on their tails. Would you hunt does and doe bedding/trails or still hone in on him? I have not found any large rubs to this point.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

RidgeReaper

Re: Found a good one...now what?

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:20 am

That's a brute!! Im no pro but I would try to find doe bedding up high and hunt it down wind of the doe bedding. He may cruise it to find a hot one. I'll keep an eye on here to see what others think. Good buck though!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:30 am

Where is the best buck bedding in the area? I would still target that, keeping in mind he is probably coming and going to where ever the most does are in the area. Even if that bedding is on an adjacent property, hunt as close as possible to there and you might have him come through in daylight since they are on their feet more and more now. Bucks still should be bedding relatively consistently, they are really nosing around the does but its not full bore cruising yet.

Good luck!
whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:13 am

JoeRE wrote:Where is the best buck bedding in the area? I would still target that, keeping in mind he is probably coming and going to where ever the most does are in the area. Even if that bedding is on an adjacent property, hunt as close as possible to there and you might have him come through in daylight since they are on their feet more and more now. Bucks still should be bedding relatively consistently, they are really nosing around the does but its not full bore cruising yet.

Good luck!

X2

Even though the rut is close, I don't think it's full-on yet. He's still on a pattern even though he's checking does and the closer you can get to his bedding the better chance you have of seeing him during daylight or at all.

Option #2: Hunt bedding in the evening and those doe bedding areas in the mornings right now. The buck bedding isn't going to be easy in the morning anyway.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:20 am

whitetail_addict wrote:
JoeRE wrote:Where is the best buck bedding in the area? I would still target that, keeping in mind he is probably coming and going to where ever the most does are in the area. Even if that bedding is on an adjacent property, hunt as close as possible to there and you might have him come through in daylight since they are on their feet more and more now. Bucks still should be bedding relatively consistently, they are really nosing around the does but its not full bore cruising yet.

Good luck!

X2

Even though the rut is close, I don't think it's full-on yet. He's still on a pattern even though he's checking does and the closer you can get to his bedding the better chance you have of seeing him during daylight or at all.

Option #2: Hunt bedding in the evening and those doe bedding areas in the mornings right now. The buck bedding isn't going to be easy in the morning anyway.

X3. I think right now your best bet is to hunt probable exit routes from buck bedding towards best doe concentration. That's my plan for this evening.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:00 am

Is there a moon morning coming up? I would hunt him over that scrape?

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:16 am

Moon mornings Sat and Sunday...and I can hunt both. Good thought! There is doe bedding 600-700 yards I found this past winter/spring. I will hit it up shortly as well. Thanks guys!

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:53 am

he was there once, close to dawn.

should be somewhat close to a bed he uses.

He will be back at that spot again, can you get a bulletproof set in there?

maybe light rattle?

maybe ambush.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:17 am

I have sticks there permanently. All I have to do is put my LW Alpha up. Supposed to have 15-25 mph winds Sat AM after rain/snow Friday night. Wind is perfect. Im gonna try to slip in and kill him hoping hes checking scrapes or freshening one up.

Jay

Unread postby Jay » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:22 pm

I would hunt him Sat then and I'd probably stay all day. I've been seeing a lot of mid day movement lately. I had a nice buck pushing a doe last Sat and they came through bout 11:45.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:52 pm

I wish i could...my wife is running her 7th marathon Sat. Im gonna meet her at the finish line around 1230. Then, back to the woods!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”