How would you set up on this buck?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

smokey615

How would you set up on this buck?

Unread postby smokey615 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:31 am

Hi guys! I came here after it was reccomended on another forum. So much good info here to go around and I'm trying to soak it all up. My question for you all is, I have several trail camera pics of a very mature buck. Here is a topo of the area I roughed it in with looking at aerials and topos. The blue lines are older choppings. Maybe 20 years, I'm really not sure. The black line is a newer cutover, about 5 years old the. Area between the two old choppings is an atv trail. I got pictures of the deer at the top of the older choppings that amkes the finger, pics off the bottom eastern corner of the top choppings, and one more picture where the old and new meet which was about a half hour after dark and he was moving to the east. He would always show up, always coming from the west, at either of the two spots later on, usually between 930 and midnight. The western spot hasn't had the cam there as long as the others. i was just tyring to keep backing up to hopefully get closer to his bedroom. I haven't checked that camera in 4 weeks, but plan on doing so soon. I hung that camera there because of the high number of rubs. The area to the east of the top old choppings is a ravine on each side of the ridge. It seems more pronounced on the ground, than it appears on this map for some reason. According to an online area calculator the norther chopping is about 80 acres, the southern 90. I'm thinking about trying in the sharp corner of the newer cutover and the older choppoing. There is small patch of timber about 100 yards wide that angles from the hard corner toward the road that i missed when i drew this in. Ive never gotten pics of this deer below the marked lines i drew.

Thanks for any advice!

Crazinamatese

Re: How would you set up on this buck?

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:38 am

Not sure what Im looking at in the pics??? :think:
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
smokey615

Unread postby smokey615 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:50 am

A topo of the area and the trail camera picture of the deer in question.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:49 pm

Do you have any better topos? Ones that may indicate elevation and elevation change intervals? That type usually help us determine what the surroundings may look like? Maybe an aerial as well for cross reference (be sure to erase any indication of GPS type coordinates). Dominant wind direction is also helpful. Camera location indicated by a dot can also be useful.

Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
AntlerAddiction

Unread postby AntlerAddiction » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:55 am

exactly, the more info you can provide the better
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:10 am

It's like going to the doctor. The more information you give him the better he can give an analysis.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
smokey615

Unread postby smokey615 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:19 am

Predominant wind is from the west. They are 20' contours. I didn't want to use a usgs quad because it would be too obvious as to the location even with some stuff blocked out. Here is another topo with camera locations. The first has the cuttings more accurately drawn but you can see the camera locations here.

smokey615

Unread postby smokey615 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:58 am

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”