No marsh experience; looking for advice on where\when to go

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

freeboro

No marsh experience; looking for advice on where\when to go

Unread postby freeboro » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:40 am

I've never deer hunted a marsh before, they aren't a prominent feature in my area, but there is one that's public land nearby. I've duck hunted it but never hunted deer there. From my past experience, there are a lot of stands right near the access areas and pretty much none after that.

I'm thinking of hunting the mouth of the peninsula that stretches out into the largest, wettest part of the marsh but I have no idea what wind to hunt that on. The ground is so flat, I don't know how much it matters, but I was hoping some of you guys that hit the marshes a lot could throw me a bone?

Any other areas look promising?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: No marsh experience; looking for advice on where\when to

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:05 am

Looks more like swamp than marsh? Anywho, the map is hard to see so zoomed back, but here are some spots I would check out:
freeboro

Unread postby freeboro » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:27 am

I figured swamp / marsh was just a regional term...anyways, some of that is more water then land if that makes sense.

For those points jutting out into the water, what wind would the deer bed in there on? I'd think W, NW, N, smelling anything approaching from the water, and watching inland, but I don't really know for sure...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:25 am

freeboro wrote:I figured swamp / marsh was just a regional term...anyways, some of that is more water then land if that makes sense.

For those points jutting out into the water, what wind would the deer bed in there on? I'd think W, NW, N, smelling anything approaching from the water, and watching inland, but I don't really know for sure...

I believe on that point they would bed there regardless of the wind direction...
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:13 am

My first time in a swamp/marsh was interesting. Not bad just different. 2 questions came to mind.
Where can I set my pack down to unload and prep the treestand?
If I shoot a deer how can I track it through water?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
freeboro

Unread postby freeboro » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:08 am

I forewarned my brother that if I shoot one back in there, it's gonna be getting it out but it'd be a good one and I'd make it worth the time he spent helping me. He said "You go in there and put one down and then we'll worry about getting the sucker out!" LOL

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”