To hunt or not to hunt?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Redman232

To hunt or not to hunt?

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:26 am

Weather forecast had been calling for a cold front moving in Wednesday. Yesterday was 75 degrees here, it stayed warm overnight, got a pre dawn down pour and continued for the first hour or two of day light. Temperature is now 59 degrees and will likely drop a little bit more throughout the day. I have plans to travel south to hunt Thursday afternoon, thru the weekend and was going to lay low until that trip, but the temperature drop has got me really itching to get in a stand this evening, what say you? Would you hunt tonight? I think by waiting until tomorrow night many guys may miss the best movement.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: To hunt or not to hunt?

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:28 am

I would hunt. It's October 28th. Can happen any time now until seasons end.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:33 am

If you can.... I'd hunt
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:55 am

I don't know why I even had to ask :D I made up my mind when I walked out for lunch.
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:58 am

Stanley wrote:I would hunt. It's October 28th. Can happen any time now until seasons end.

x2. The answer is "hunt" from now til the end of Nov.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:00 am

Redman232 wrote:I don't know why I even had to ask :D I made up my mind when I walked out for lunch.

Smart. :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupright:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:13 am

Since it is wet and a little windy, I'm going to poke around a little bit on a new property behind my house, with a stand on my back. Hopefully a member or two of the big bachelor group we watched all summer are still around, because now I can hunt them.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:16 am

Got it handed to me again last night, I walked past quite a bit of doe sign in and around the corn field behind the house as I walked to the new property. I got to a spot I pin pointed using aerials, a inside corner on a standing bean field, a small ridge (8 feet or so) dropping off to the inside corner, a wooded creek bottom running into the timber behind me and another inside corner about 100 yards south of me. Absolutely no deer sign that I could see and didn't see a deer. The property is not what I hoped it would be, pretty open hard woods (basically a sugar maple stand) with a hand full of red oaks and acorns around them with just turkey sign. Pretty disappointed, having more trouble this year getting on a shooter than years past and I spent a lot more time scouting this spring. Keeping my head down, chin up and trudging on.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:30 am

Don't get down on yourself now, the best is yet to come.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”