Moon days question...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Moon days question...

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:00 am

I was just checking over the moon days again that Dan posted for us. Thanks Dan. Last year the full moon fell on one of the first days of firearm here in MI, and the hunting was slow. Saw a couple small bucks midday, but Im not sure if it was moon related or due to gun opener. Is hunting usually better before the full moon? or after? This year is an odd one, I usually avoid the full moon days, but it falls on statistically the best group of days early November. Im on vaca for two weeks starting Halloween.

I hunt mostly private land that gets a good amount of pressure on surrounding lands. There is a 40 acre thicket I hunt next to, that gets zero pressure. Mature bucks are not commonly seen midday, probably due to the surrounding pressure.

Just curious what you guys think of the full moon days this year falling right during prime time. I will say Ive seen more big bucks the past 1.5 weeks than ever before here. Just none close enough...going for 3.5 or better.

headgear
500 Club

Re: Moon days question...

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:11 am

When we look at the moon we aren't looking at full moon or phases, just specific times of the day when the moon is positioned overhead or underfoot. When these times parallel prime deer movement times you can often see more deer movement or early deer movement related to food or the rut. In the moon were overhead just before first light it might have a buck feeding and coming back to bed later than usual.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:14 am

When you look at the moon transit times (overhead and underfoot) they overlap with morning and evening hunts on the first quarter and last quarter moon.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:33 am

Thanks for the responses guys. I do understand what the moon days are meant to show, I'm more wondering about "bad" moon days. Normally I would not hunt the "bad" moon days, but they fall this year on prime rut days. Ill hunt them hard either way I guess and I will learn for myself if early Nov rut days trumps full moon, or the other way aound...

And thoughts on this?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:38 am

Rut will trump bad moon days in my book, anything can happen any time.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:51 am

headgear wrote:Rut will trump bad moon days in my book, anything can happen any time.

I think you may be right. Ive had some sloooooow days during full moon in the past. I'm pretty sure that staying inside on Nov 6th due to a full moon would be ridiculous.... :lol: Im just trying to learn what everyone has experienced.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:32 am

Millions of bucks killed on non moon days over the years. :think: You be the judge.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”