Screw in step accident

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Country
500 Club

Screw in step accident

Unread postby Country » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:51 am

Just a heads up to everyone...I talked to my brother yesterday and he had a bit of an accident. He was using a tree that had screw in tree steps. When he got to the top of the tree, one of the steps busted and he began to fall. Luckily he was using a lifeline, which caught him, however, he did receive injuries to the calf and groin from the steps below the one that broke. I think this was one of the first times he used the lifeline too, which is kind of ironic. Be safe.

AntlerAddiction

Re: Screw in step accident

Unread postby AntlerAddiction » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:01 am

I hunt very few permanant stands,.... but I am considering making my own lifelines and installing them on those.

Glad to hear he is OK overall!
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:06 am

glad to hear he's ok. i use lifelines on all my permanent stands, and i never use screw-in steps. too easy to get impaled if you do fall. hope your brother heals up fast!
Muy Grande
Location: Alabama; chase whitetails in Tennessee and Kentucky

Unread postby Muy Grande » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:12 am

Glad he is ok and had the lifeline!

All my preset stands have lifelines NOW. I've hit the ground from 25 feet. It's not fun. Linemans belt setting them up or using sticks/stand, connected at all times with my climber. Never want that to happen again.
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:32 am

Wow! Not the first time I have heard of this. We just take it for granted too often.

chris
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:36 am

No screw in steps for this cat..... :naughty:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:06 am

Bucky wrote:No screw in steps for this cat..... :naughty:

Same here. I've heard it play out like this way too many times.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
AntlerAddiction

Unread postby AntlerAddiction » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:07 am

I think I'm going to leave the screw in steps off my permanant stands and just pack in my LW sticks and use them to get up in it. Even with I use my Alpha I always go up the tree in one shot. It will be even easier with a rope already there waiting and hanging from the stand to haul my gear up.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:09 am

A fellow pharmacist buddy had a step break on him and impaled himself on a step on the way down... he survived, but that was the end of screw in steps for me
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:22 am

I'm glad he's OK.

I sure like the convenience of the screw in steps, but they are a little scary. The more I read, the more I think I should get rid of them.
tcop7
500 Club

Unread postby tcop7 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:29 am

Glad he is okay! A good reminder that anything can happen in the woods!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:40 am

I have a ton of them from years past, but now I use them to hang any extra gear I have or if I'm standing I'll occasionally hang my bow on it. I do keep one in my pocket in case I fall off the stand and can't get my footing on anything.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:39 am

I had a friend that was tore up from a fall into the screw in steps below him. Busted him up pretty bad. Lets face it being up in a tree is dangerous no matter how you slice the pie. Everything is good until you fall then it's not so good. To me, part of big buck hunting is being safe so you can kill that big buck. I shudder when guys tell me they use no safety harness. It is irresponsible to not use a safety device. If you don't use one, you eventually will have an accident and not wearing a safety harness will compound the injury.

I have had one screw in step break on me years ago. I was young and strong and had two hands and one foot connected. I did not get hurt but learned a huge lesson from it. I still use a few of them every year but would rather not. Sticks are much safer if used properly. If not wearing a safety harness gives you an advantage of not getting goat roped, it is not worth it. I like all the Beast hunters and want every one of them to return home safely. Buckle up fellow hunters you owe it to your family and friends to return home safely.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
freeboro

Unread postby freeboro » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:07 am

I just had a friend fall on Saturday doing a "hang and hunt" like us. He didn't use a lineman's belt. Fell 15', landed on his back, broke a vertebrae but will recover 100%. He was lucky.

And I hate screw in steps for a number of reasons, them breaking and then potentially being impaled on them being 2 of the biggest.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:13 am

I have had them break a couple times when I was younger... Received a bad cut to my leg on the last one... Bad for trees, they pop out of some trees, and the break... Im with Bucky. No screw ins for this cat!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”