Please Help

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

trybowfishin

Please Help

Unread postby trybowfishin » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:44 am

So, Friday the 24th I put a camera on a new trail I noticed on our lease where there is a scrape. After hunting Sunday morning, I decided to go ahead and pull the card on my way out at 9:30am. I happen to spook a deer on my way over to check it when I got within 50 yards. The deer never blew, just took off through the woods in some thick stuff. I could barely make out movement but never got a good look of it. When I got home, the below picture is what I found. This is probably the biggest deer on our lease, upstate South Carolina so it is a real big deer for around here also.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i41 ... CT0025.jpgImage

Talk about nausea, I wish I would have slipped in a little quieter or done something different that morning like sit near this location… Can’t change the past though…

My question is when can/should I hunt this area? I have no idea where he beds or feeds, I wish I could scout the area for him, but I don’t want to push him away… One of the other lease holders possibly saw him on 10/23/14 at 9:02am within 100 yards of this location, but he said all he saw a big buck chasing a doe and never gave him a shot opportunity… There are several people who hunt around us, this is near the property line and those hunters shoot anything brown I work an 8-5 M-F job, so should I start to feel sick tomorrow morning, or should I wait a few days and hit it Saturday and Sunday morning???

Thoughts, suggestions, tips, and help is appreciated.

PK_
500 Club

Re: Please Help

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:40 pm

That is a dandy. Personally if that buck was seen twice in the morning in that area I would be hunting a morning in that area asap. I would get in very early since your not sure where the buck is bedding or coming from.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:49 pm

trybowfishin wrote: I work an 8-5 M-F job, so should I start to feel sick tomorrow morning, or should I wait a few days and hit it Saturday and Sunday morning???
:lol:
If you had a cold front coming in tomorrow or the next day i'd get awfully sick. Like PK said get on him while he's around.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:52 pm

Nice buck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
trybowfishin

Unread postby trybowfishin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:55 am

Not sure who fixed my picture, but thanks!

PK, I plan on using your idea, sitting in the area, getting in early and staying as late as possible, thanks!

cbay, we actually have 70 degree weather up until Saturday, at least that's what the weather man and app says... Should I wait until then or feel sick now? :)

Thanks for the comment Stanley

Anyone else got any help?

Anyone ever bump there target buck, how long do I wait to sit around that area???
csgrizz

Unread postby csgrizz » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:57 am

Look at your overhead maps and topos, approach it as if its a new piece of land and plug in every thing you have on this deer...I assume just the two bits of info right now, but that is better than nothing, then make an educated guess based on that as to where his bedding/travel/feeding might be and come up with a plan. As the others said, I would get in on him asap if he is on his feet in daylight.

Just as you couldn't get a good look at him, there is a good chance he wasn't sure what you were either.

Good luck!

CS
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:57 am

csgrizz wrote:Look at your overhead maps and topos, approach it as if its a new piece of land and plug in every thing you have on this deer...I assume just the two bits of info right now, but that is better than nothing, then make an educated guess based on that as to where his bedding/travel/feeding might be and come up with a plan. As the others said, I would get in on him asap if he is on his feet in daylight.

Just as you couldn't get a good look at him, there is a good chance he wasn't sure what you were either.

Good luck!

CS

x2 hUNT THERE, IF HE DON'T SHOW KEEP HOPPING AROUND THE AREA TILL YOU CROSS PATHS.
trybowfishin

Unread postby trybowfishin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:29 am

Thanks Dan and everyone else for the comments! I am going to wait for this cold front this weekend, sit as much as I can both Saturday and Sunday and see if I can meet this beast face to face... I will post if successful!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”