New Public Property

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

baddeerhunter

New Public Property

Unread postby baddeerhunter » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:09 am

I've never hunting this spot so I'm going in blind and need help. I typically don't hunt large stands of timber either. This public land is surrounded on three sides by private land and the North end abuts a river. Which I'll be crossing to access this piece of ground. I can only access this with a South wind so I'm limited where I can hunt on the property. Quick map rundown...

The top of the map is NORTH.
The red line is my access point trail.
Light green line is a two track the G&P uses to access their food plots.
I marked out potential stand sites. Based on; I want minimal impact in the timber.
Are these good spots to catch bucks cruising with a south wind? Could you recommend a more productive spot?

Doe bedding is unknown but I would assume the larger/thicker area of timber is where they're bedding. You can see this timber by the slight color difference in shades of green, (the thicker area is lighter in color) and more easily seen on the close up picture. The topo maps also shows an old river bed that runs in relation to one of these color changes. It also appears the old river bed that is lined with mature timber, might have a slight depression to it based on the topo. I could see bucks skirting the edge of this, so maybe I want to be at the northern tip of that feature?

baddeerhunter

Re: New Public Property

Unread postby baddeerhunter » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:45 am

Up
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:06 am

Not seeing a pic...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:07 am

No picture.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
baddeerhunter

Unread postby baddeerhunter » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:31 pm

I have three icons that I can right click on and "open picture". It opens a new tab with a picture from my "beast" album. I must not have followed the directions for posting pics. Thanks for the heads up everyone.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
baddeerhunter

Unread postby baddeerhunter » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:50 pm

Try this again

South_West.JPG
baddeerhunter

Unread postby baddeerhunter » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:05 am

cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:39 am

It seems like the two track you marked is close to your potential stand sites. Do deer use it? I'd look for sign on the two track and figure out where they get on and off it. Then find interconnecting and or parallel trails and hunt those. Also, you may want to take a closer look at the bend to your NE.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
baddeerhunter

Unread postby baddeerhunter » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:30 am

The two track seemed like a good starting point to me and it should give me good access with minimal disturbance. I have no idea if the deer are using it, I've never stepped foot in there. Maybe I get out there mid day, cross the river, set my gear down and take a short walk up and down that two track and check for sign.
baddeerhunter

Unread postby baddeerhunter » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:15 am

Could use more opinions please.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”