Colder Canadian air coming for Halloween

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Colder Canadian air coming for Halloween

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:42 pm

Stanley wrote:
exojam wrote:When you guys do all day sits, would you ever go in the morning, head back to the truck for lunch and than go back to the same spot for the evening. If feasible, not if you had to walk 2 miles into you spot.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I personally wouldn't you double the human exposure. Stand burn out would be double over just sitting all day. Pack a lunch.

Agreed, but if you are on the verge of burnout or worse (e.g. sickness), take a break!

ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:46 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:It is, but kinda bummed about the southerly winds. Was hoping for some brisk NW winds for a leeward set up that has produced some action for the last few seasons.

I'm actually kind of excited about this "warm" cold front. It should be a nice gradual transition. I have a ton of spots I want to hit under these early conditions. I'd rather have steady and good than fast and great. It will keep the handful of decent bucks close to their happy place.

Just a personal preference...

I like that.

Steady and good over fast and great. Rut is a marathon not a sprint.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:47 pm

If you go back to the vehicle for lunch do you need to take your stand with you?

:think:

It was 90° here yesterday.... :cry:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:47 pm

I hope the bucks are runnin' good this weekend. Im hunting the hills this weekend. Do you think setting up above the 1/3rd line along south facing slope and maybe along the 1/3rd line on the north facing slope instead would be a good plan? The southerly breeze should push the thermals up and over the ridge, causing the thermals to sink on the opposite side. The wind tunnel shouldn't be a major factor. Right?
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:50 pm

I hope it gets way down south. We are on the edge of the rut right now. Matter of a couple weeks.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:54 pm

Zap wrote:[glow=red]If you go back to the vehicle for lunch do you need to take your stand with you?[/glow]

I wouldn't :mrgreen:

Honestly though, I never leave the woods. I always have a couple cliff bars and water to get me through the day. If I need a nap, I strap in tight or just climb down and sleep with the bow.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:03 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:I hope the bucks are runnin' good this weekend. Im hunting the hills this weekend. Do you think setting up above the 1/3rd line along south facing slope and maybe along the 1/3rd line on the north facing slope instead would be a good plan? The southerly breeze should push the thermals up and over the ridge, causing the thermals to sink on the opposite side. The wind tunnel shouldn't be a major factor. Right?

I plan on focusing on hill side bedding transitions with these light south winds.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:13 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:It is, but kinda bummed about the southerly winds. Was hoping for some brisk NW winds for a leeward set up that has produced some action for the last few seasons.

its NNW for Friday for my land area :dance: cant wait !!!!!!!!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:16 pm

Gonna have a nw wind tomorrow and near 15 degree drop from today. Exciting day planned.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:44 pm

I have a long list of rut stands for every possible wind direction. Only thing that matters to me is cooler temps and I'm good to go.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:57 pm

Well my vacation starts on Nov.1 through the 7th. I plan to be spending a lot of time out in the stand this next week. Hopefully a decent buck comes wondering by.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:02 pm

Dewey wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:Im not seeing alot of differential in temps coming this weekend. There is a low pressure system moving through WI right now with a stationary front dragging in some rain for tonight and tomorrow that will drop the temps down a little and turn the wind out of the NW due to the precipitation along the boundary, but no 'big' cold front in the foreseeable future. The NWS is forecasting winds out of the south and highs in the upper 40's for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for western WI. This is not your typical late Oct. cold front...

40's is WAY better than 70's isn't it?

25 to 40 is my "happy place" for all day rut sits. Cool enough for movement, but not so frigid for the hunter. It's almost go time :dance:

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:17 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:Im not seeing alot of differential in temps coming this weekend. There is a low pressure system moving through WI right now with a stationary front dragging in some rain for tonight and tomorrow that will drop the temps down a little and turn the wind out of the NW due to the precipitation along the boundary, but no 'big' cold front in the foreseeable future. The NWS is forecasting winds out of the south and highs in the upper 40's for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for western WI. This is not your typical late Oct. cold front...

40's is WAY better than 70's isn't it?

25 to 40 is my "happy place" for all day rut sits. Cool enough for movement, but not so frigid for the hunter. It's almost go time :dance:

I agree.

Still 67 degrees here at 9:15 pm :shock:

Cool air can't get here fast enough.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:46 pm

Zap wrote:If you go back to the vehicle for lunch do you need to take your stand with you?

I thought Kansas was close to heaven? Those temps lead me to believe it's closer to hades. ;)
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:37 am

20+ degree drop! Ah what a relief today!! :dance:

Very windy today but as long as it's bringing cold air I'm happy!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”