new spot need ideas!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

marker1jj

new spot need ideas!

Unread postby marker1jj » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:04 pm

http://s40.photobucket.com/user/marker1 ... 1.png.html
http://s40.photobucket.com/user/marker1 ... 8.png.html

This is topo and aerial of a spot Im going to hunt. The ridge is a mix of oak flats and really thick bedding. I mean so thick you can't crawl through it. I scouted this area in the spring and couldn't move through the area without bumping deer so I know they use this for bedding. Where would you set up? There isn't really a steep drop off its more gradual. How do you set up at that 1/3 elevation? You can see in the aerial photo there are multiple transition lines that run almost to the same spot at the nw side of the ridge. Any help is appreciated.

marker1jj

Re: new spot need ideas!

Unread postby marker1jj » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:46 pm

bump
marker1jj

Unread postby marker1jj » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:19 pm

anyone?
Buckbuster28
Facebook: Alex Slosser

Unread postby Buckbuster28 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:44 pm

Not getting much love on this one Jim...hopefully someone will chime in and give you some more help

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
marker1jj

Unread postby marker1jj » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:39 pm

Hey thats how it goes sometimes! Maybe everyone is in the woods? :D
marker1jj

Unread postby marker1jj » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:42 am

?
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:41 pm

I will try to help, but I honestly had a difficult time matching up your topo and aeriel maps. The flags threw me off or the scale was different. Sometimes roads and fields help folks match up the two. And yes many people are occupied.

Since the rut is approaching or here depending on your location, I would choose a funnel and play the wind. If it is too thick to get in there to hunt a buck bed, then don't worry. The bucks will be out traveling anyway.

Maybe somebody else can give you better help with your map as well.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:59 pm

The point on the NW side of the map looks great and I also like the point just below it on the W side. That point on the NW side looks like it has a pretty steep drop. Also the main point in the center has a steep eastern facing side. Should get some pretty good thermals working on each of those sides.
marker1jj

Unread postby marker1jj » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:33 am

Thanks for the replies! Now that I looked at the maps again I can see how it would be difficult to match up. The topo is zoomed out just a bit. I actually hunted this spot this morning. I sat the nw slope of the ridge in the center of the pictures. It was a great hunt! Had four does come from the valley right past me at 25 yds at 7:30. Then a doe being vocal shortly after came through. I thought it was going to be a buck with all the noise she was making. Then had a wind shift and I got busted by a group of four does. I was just about to get down and something caught my eye. A shooter buck came right along behind the does that spooked and he too caught my wind and didn't make it close enough for a shot. I want to get back in there next chance I get since its the deer are there. Should I wait?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”