My First Beast Style Experience. Thank you.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AntlerAddiction

My First Beast Style Experience. Thank you.

Unread postby AntlerAddiction » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:25 pm

I just wanted to share a quick story about my hunt from last evening. I felt I should write this because afterall it is because of this forum and because of the Marsh and Hill Country DVDs that I experienced what I did last night.

I found a few buck beds this past spring before green-up by scouting points on a topo. Prior to this I had never seen a buck bed in my life even though spending countless hours in the woods yet in one afternoon of scouting I found 4 plus lots of doe bedding. This is on public land near my house. Anyway, I did as I was taught, squatting in the bed and taking inventory of the bucks line of sight and the wind direction needed to set up on this buck. I took video with my iphone so I wouldnt forget. I found his rub line leading to an ag field just over the property line on private land. I went home and plotted an entry route on google earth and it required going way out of the way across the valley to avoid being spotted by the bedded buck.

Finally, the wind was right yesterday evening and I set out with stand and sticks on my back and hiked and crawled and slowly hooked back into the wind and set up beast style and deadly silent. It took 1.5 hours from when I left the truck until I got into my lone wolf at 5:02pm.

I waited.

I spotted a large scrape about 20 yards in front of me in his "staging area" and that got me even more exited.

Within an hours of sitting, does were moving through the area and I kept waiting. After the sun set I hear leaves crunching from the direction of the bed and I knew it was him. I clipped on the release and here he came, walking with a confident stride and totally at ease and confident in his safety after all, he KNEW everything that was going on since the area he was walking in was "upwind" of his bed all day :mrgreen:

He came 8 yards from my stand and gave me plenty of shot opportunity. I was amazing how how he walked with NO caution, no wariness or hesitation. He was totally at ease, walked right up and worked the scrape and then continued licking branches. He was an 8 pointer around 120ish with a mature body but since we only get one buck a year here in KY I left him pass. (a mile long drag didnt encourage me further) but because of the close encounter it left me shaking for minutes after. I questioned myself if I should have shot him but I have passed deer his size in the past for I will try for something just a bit bigger,

Something happened to me in the stand last night and I felt something that I cannot explain. For the first time in my life, I was buck hunting and I wasn't HOPING that something would come by and I would get lucky, I knew and fully expected my plan to work. I went in with confidence in my scouting and what I learned from the Beast and my plan worked to a T! The plan I'm referring to is Beast Style hunting. My paradigm has just shifted. A big thank you to Dan Infalt and everyone on the beast. Without finding this site and the DVDs this would have never happened. I know I'm just a green horn at this with many many humbling learning experiences ahead but also, I expect some fullfilling ones along the way as well. Most importantly I gained a confidence that this works and it works for ME. I have a few more beds to hunt yet this year and I cant wait to find more this winter.

Thank you guys for reading all of tis if you've made it this far. All I can think about know is logging as many buck bed locations to hunt this coming winter.

I had to share and say Thank You

Beast-Mode

Re: My First Beast Style Experience. Thank you.

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:32 pm

:clap: Very Cool.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:32 pm

awesome!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:45 pm

Great encounter :dance:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:59 pm

I know what you mean. This place is awesome! Congrats on a great hunt!
wv-outdoor

Unread postby wv-outdoor » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:02 pm

Great story and congrats on a successful hunt even without the kill!!!
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:03 pm

That is awesome!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Mibowhunter91

Unread postby Mibowhunter91 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:17 pm

Pretty great when that first bed hunt comes together even if it's not a shooter just knowing u went in there after a buck knowing right where he would be!

wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:37 pm

Congrats thats awesome!!

Earn what’s never given.
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:12 pm

That was a great read nice job, I had kinda the same experience tonight on some public land

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:45 pm

:clap:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Beartown18
500 Club

Unread postby Beartown18 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:04 am

8-)
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:08 am

Sounds like a real rush!
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:11 am

Great story, that is what it's all about.
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:35 am

That is awesome. What a confidence booster!
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”