Scrapes on ridgetops or top 1/3?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HoosierG5
500 Club

Scrapes on ridgetops or top 1/3?

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:11 am

Ok guys. Sat last 3 times without seeing a deer this week. Havent sat same stand yet this year, and really trying to learn this style. Nearly every ridgetop I come to with a log road is littered with scrapes and Im really having a hard time not hunting hot sign and cleaned out scrapes. I have found hardly any rubs this year which is odd, but Im trying to keep at it all season with new tactics Im learning on here.

Am I wrong here? Should I be hunting "hot sign" when I know its primarily done at night? Or keep at it hunting top thirds, bedding, and transitions?

I am really trying hard to mentally keep at it going long times without seeing deer but maybe once seeing a good deer. In 12 IN hunts, I have seen 11 deer with one being a dink 8 point.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Re: Scrapes on ridgetops or top 1/3?

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:38 am

I would stay at the top 1/3 on the downwind side of the scrapes and if you can position yourself above a draw to pinch the movement down even better. Have seen a ton of cruising this time of the year and in the hills it is worth sitting till that noon hour at least in my opinion. I have seen more action during those mid morning hours in mature bucks near the beginning of November.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:09 am

One of my setups in the near future is directly on top of the ridge but the only reason is because it's a hub, or where two or more ridges come together. Otherwise I see them usually cruise the top third line skirting the points that go off from the ridge on downwind side.

I'm seeing those scrapes on logging roads too but I know they are mostly made at night due to lack of bedding and cover nearby.
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:35 am

I don't agree with the idea those are made at night. I've seen bucks make scrapes on fire trails mid day and walked across fresh scrapes on fire trails while heading out for evening hunts. On public. Can't say for sure it was done by mature bucks or with any regularity. But it happens.

That said, I agree hill country deer seem to move late morning this time of year. However, I find that I see more deer if I move my set every couple hours if I'm not seeing deer. Saddles near bedding get hot this time, as well as any other funnel connecting bedding.

I guess ultimately I'm satin keep at it!

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:46 am

Never found a scrape on 1/3rd, I usually find them on ridgelines and where ridges intersect, and at the bottom of ravines near thick stuff.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:26 am

cdeam wrote:I don't agree with the idea those are made at night. I've seen bucks make scrapes on fire trails mid day and walked across fresh scrapes on fire trails while heading out for evening hunts. On public. Can't say for sure it was done by mature bucks or with any regularity. But it happens.

That said, I agree hill country deer seem to move late morning this time of year. However, I find that I see more deer if I move my set every couple hours if I'm not seeing deer. Saddles near bedding get hot this time, as well as any other funnel connecting bedding.

I guess ultimately I'm satin keep at it!

I do agree to an extent on scrapes cause I have seen bucks work them in the daylight on logging roads and ridge tops. Saddles and hubs are great if you intend on sitting up on a ridge top. Most of their travel to get to these hubs or saddles is done in the 1/3 from the top. I just like my odds better catching them as they are headed to these areas. Mature bucks are very cautious when crossing ridge tops especially logging roads or fire trails. This is my experience. Do whatever gets the job done for you. No need to change it if it works

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:32 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Never found a scrape on 1/3rd, I usually find them on ridgelines and where ridges intersect, and at the bottom of ravines near thick stuff.

Scrapes are made where the does travel most of the time. Lots of does like to travel ridge tops. I've personally seen bucks check scrapes just by walking off the edge of a ridge top on that downwind side. Mature bucks don't get old from walking down logging roads and fire trails that have hunter pressure.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:51 am

Cruzn will get heavy this week... starting Wed you will see action at the 1/3 from top ridge lines

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:21 pm

How much pressure u got? If it ain't alot I'd hunt the hother sign... if it is then the obvious Prolly is at night

Make It Happen
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:32 pm

My #1 tactic no matter the time of year in hill country is getting to the top 1/3rd and getting way up in the tree, and this time of year if you can get close to a saddle or other terrain traps it will be even better. I have been using this tactic for the 3rd year in a row now and I have 100% confidence setting up on zero sign at all. Its almost like field of dreams, if you climb up there, they will come.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:45 pm

Brad wrote:My #1 tactic no matter the time of year in hill country is getting to the top 1/3rd and getting way up in the tree, and this time of year if you can get close to a saddle or other terrain traps it will be even better. I have been using this tactic for the 3rd year in a row now and[glow=red]I have 100% confidence setting up on zero sign at all. Its almost like field of dreams, if you climb up there, they will come.[/glow]

:lol: I wish all areas were like that.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:56 pm

I walked these saddles yesterdsay after climb down. The one farther south had zero sign. The one to the north had good heavy trails. Neither had boot tracks and neither had rubs or scrapes on top. You these are the two most obvious ones I can identify. Would you guys hunt these starting next weekend?

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:47 pm

^ Yes unless you have a good spot downwind of bedding. If another hunter shows up, you can always move. That is the nice thing about being mobile.

Beartown18
500 Club

Unread postby Beartown18 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:41 am

I would hunt the Northern one.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”