Beating the marsh thermals ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Beating the marsh thermals ?

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:06 am

I am noticing a problem that I position myself in the right areas around the beds. I will have great winds right up till prime time then everything goes dead n the swamp thermals start pulling my milkweed towards the beds.. I have also noticed at the point of the thermal switch is actually right when the deer start moving.. how r u guys beating this switch? Its killing me...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Crazinamatese

Re: Beating the marsh thermals ?

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:51 am

I assume that the sun isn't creating the thermals toward prime time when the sun is setting. All that warm air cools and sinks.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:11 am

They get me every now and then too... The key is understanding the thermals. Today is a prime example. Water in the marsh will heat up cause of the unseasonably warm day, in the evening right at about prime time as the sun goes out of view air will cool quickly, but the shallow water in the swamp / marsh will stay warm and will create a rising thermal which as that warm air above the swamp water rises straight up, it will pull in the cooler air from above the ground where your at... So my swamp set for today would be on the edge of the water . For example, if your hunting a finger of dry land leading into a wet swamp, if you set up in the middle of the dry finger your scent might flow right down the point when the thermals kick in, but setting up on the edge will ensure that the swamp thermal pulls you to the water your close to... Make sense?
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:46 am

I deal with this all year long pretty much, like dan said, setup on the water's edge, many times I am below the water's edge. You have to get off to the side of the bed, so many times it is a crapshoot on which way the deer will come out. All you can do is get in there after them and smile even when they bugger because at least you know you were in the game.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:10 am

Have to prepare for it, it might mean not setting up in a perfect location or using a pond or lake to pull your scent away from or to the side of a bed. Sometimes I'm cutting is close and they nail me, has happened twice this year. Once when a larger lake had a stronger pull than a smaller lake even though I was close to the smaller lake. Another time I think I herd something walking away when the thermal kicked in. I do find that the best bedding has a combination of wind and thermals, just have to try and make the best of it.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:47 am

I get it Dan... I think I can do that. Thanks for the responses

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:20 am

Thought about it more... on dry land around the swamp my thermals are being sucked to the areas holding water as the water cools it creates n up draft through evaporation. .. the decaying matter should hold a little more heat so if I can position myself next to some muck water I should get a good up draft in the evening... I think this will help for sure... im just gonna have to move in a little closer to the beds. .. thanks again guys.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”