Grunt call

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Terry
500 Club

Grunt call

Unread postby Terry » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:38 am

I am going to preface this post by saying I am not a fan of deer calls. In my experience they do more harm than good. However, as a last ditch effort while watching a buck walk away forever, I will grunt at them to see if I can get him to come back. It has payed off twice out of probably 20 tries, but it's still two opportunities I would have never had.

That being said, I recently was led to Vector game calls on another forum. Vector makes a few different types of game calls, one of them being a buck grunt. I am a big fan of handmade items and love supporting the small guys in the hunting industry, so I ordered one. After receiving it and playing with it non-stop, I am thoroughly impressed. The craftsmanship is outstanding, and the sound is to my ears the best I have heard. It has a real deep gritty sound, much more realistic than the higher more bland grunts I usually use. Not sure if it will attract more buck, but every little bit helps.

Since these are handmade, there is a short waiting period. Probably too late for this season, but something to think about for the future.

I wanted to add I have no affiliation with Vector, I am just a happy customer who thought some fellow deer enthusiast would enjoy one of these grunts.

http://vectorcalls.com/page3.html

Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Re: Grunt call

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:47 am

Looks nice. Good luck with it in these next few weeks!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:48 am

Looks very nice but I just do not like it when websites do not show pricing and ask you to contact them for it.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:54 am

Nice looking grunt call.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:59 am

I am most impressed with it's sound. I have heard a good number of buck grunt, most of them young and they have all sounded really deep to me. I don't buy the young buck higher pitched grunt theory. Most of them have sounded more pig like than store bought deer grunts.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:31 am

When I hear a soft squeaky grunt I normally see a 1.5 year old buck. When I hear a loud hard deep grunt I get the bow ready. There should be some kind of difference, we're talking about a buck that is 2Xs + bigger.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:59 am

Huh, my experience differs. They have all sounded deep to me. Even doe bleats have sounded deeper than what I expected.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:34 am

I have seen some big bucks make blood curdling loud, deep, grunting noises. I mean there is no mistake, it's a big boy. I don't think there is a grunt tube made that can duplicate the volume.
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:36 am

while hunting in missouri one year, i watched a 1.5 year old half rack chasing some does around a food plot, grunting his fool head off. he sounded like he swallowed a primos buck roar call. sounded exactly like it.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:39 am

Bowhunter74201 wrote:while hunting in missouri one year, i watched a 1.5 year old half rack chasing some does around a food plot, grunting his fool head off. he sounded like he swallowed a primos buck roar call. sounded exactly like it.

Imagine what a buck 2Xs + the size would sound like if on that rampage? :think:
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:43 am

I use a Primos Buck roar/grunt tube. It's the best grunt tube sound wise I've ever used. You can also snort wheeze with this call as well. I don't do any blind calling but if I see a shooter going away I will snort wheeze and grunt to him. It worked back in 2010 on a big buck for me; the buck came over 200 yards away across a field to see what I was. Arrowed him at 32 yards :)
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:51 am

Terry wrote:Huh, my experience differs. They have all sounded deep to me. Even doe bleats have sounded deeper than what I expected.

I have heard some deep sounding grunts come from small bucks on occassion and the loudest grunt I have ever heard (by far) was from a 1.5 or 2.5 year old buck, but when I hear that real deep, raspy, guttural grunt then I get excited because I know it's a fully mature buck.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:55 am

Terry wrote:Huh, my experience differs. They have all sounded deep to me. Even doe bleats have sounded deeper than what I expected.

I have heard some deep sounding grunts come from small bucks on occassion and the loudest grunt I have ever heard (by far) was from a 1.5 or 2.5 year old buck, but when I hear that real deep, raspy, guttural grunt then I get excited because I know it's a fully mature buck.

What did that call cost? A video or audio clip of how this call sounds would be helpful too.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:41 am

It was $45 shipped. Here is a clip of him making one, you can get an idea of what they sound like around the 6:50 mark.

http://vimeo.com/49253716
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:45 am

Thanks. He seems to get some good volume out of it. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”