Morning Strategy?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Morning Strategy?

Unread postby kwaldeier » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:22 pm

Didn't want to take over the other thread about mornings so I made this one! My question is,what tactics do you utilize in the mornings between the 20th until the 2nd(give or take)?And how do you use them successfully?

Something I don't get-
When sitting between food and bedding,which way should wind be blowing?Into the field is normal but that is where the deer are or will come from in the morning. Confused on that..

[ Post made via Android ] Image

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Morning Strategy?

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:28 am

Mornings are tricky. You have to know how those deer are moving or it can be a futile effort not knowing how to use the wind to your advantage. If you have game cameras, I suggest putting them up now so you can learn how the deer move for next year in areas you can't hunt.

I'm hunting doe bedding areas starting tomorrow. I guarantee there will be scrape action near the transitions next to those good bedding areas. With the warm temps we are having, I'd bet the bucks will be moving pretty good the first hour or two of light in the morning.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:35 am

I'm interested in the same thing, kwaldeier. I have a good evening spot, a field edge that has does coming out of corn pretty regularly before sunset. The edge of woods that I walk in and sit near has a parallel trail about 20 yards in, marked with some new rubs, and the field edge has new scrapes as of this week. Do I walk in before light?
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:27 pm

Anyone?

DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:03 pm

Ideally you would want a crosswind, one that doesn't blow toward the field OR the bedding and then set on the downwind side of the trails. But morning hunts for bucks are tricky because they'll leave the fields extra early and you might bump them on their way to bedding as you're setting up. Hunt close to bedding and get in there REAL early. OR just wait another 5 days and then hunt downwind of doe bedding mid morning until about 2pm

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:09 pm

I like to come in the backside of bedding or perpendicular to a travel corridor, preferably using water. Wind in your favor of course.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:15 pm

Mornings have been huge for me the last week of October through the first two weeks of November. I have killed several bucks on cool days near that 10-12 hours as well. Most of the action comes near doe bedding areas. I see them up on their feet a lot more during the morning hours myself here in the hills than I do at any other time around the beginning of November.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:16 pm

I may not be the norm... but when the bucks start to cruz I will setup downwind side of doe bedding or I will walk and setup right on top of a doe bedding area... even if that means blowing the does out. The bucks know where those locals are and will even go into blow downs like a Beagle hunts for a rabbit scent checking each bed/downed tree for doe estrus...

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:18 pm

Bowhunter4life wrote:Mornings have been huge for me the last week of October through the first two weeks of November. I have killed several bucks on cool days near that 10-12 hours as well. Most of the action comes near doe bedding areas. I see them up on their feet a lot more during the morning hours myself here in the hills than I do at any other time around the beginning of November.

I agree... I see bigger bucks start to actively cruz search around Nov 1st... best times are typically 830-1ish in the hills

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:21 pm

kwaldeier wrote:Didn't want to take over the other thread about mornings so I made this one! My question is,what tactics do you utilize in the mornings between the 20th until the 2nd(give or take)?And how do you use them successfully?

Something I don't get-
When sitting between food and bedding,which way should wind be blowing?Into the field is normal but that is where the deer are or will come from in the morning. Confused on that..

U wanna try to get behind the does... so the wind is blowing through them to you.. you are downwind. You also don't wanna walk through them in the AM. You wanna come in the back door if possible

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:15 pm

For me I like to hunt the doe bedding with a 90 degree wind in the AM. The does normally aren't in the beds until after sunrise. So I like to keep my wind out of the bedding and out of the direction they will come from. So if I'm hunting an East to West doe travel rout I like to have a south wind or a North wind. I don't want my wind to reach the does nose.

Ofttimes the bucks will trail the does to the doe beds. If you hunt areas with large doe numbers I think this method is very good.
Another method I really like is to sleep in until about 8:00 AM and hunt just like you would in the PM. A lot of hunters don't like this method until they try it. You will get much less hunter burn out with this method. Plus if you can defecate at home rather in the field that is a huge plus. Nothing worse than getting all set up, cramp up, and have to bail at first light.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:21 pm

Good info guys!! I'll see what I can get done! Had a 60 hr week in preps for the next week..

Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:08 pm

Stanley wrote:For me I like to hunt the doe bedding with a 90 degree wind in the AM. The does normally aren't in the beds until after sunrise. So I like to keep my wind out of the bedding and out of the direction they will come from. So if I'm hunting an East to West doe travel rout I like to have a south wind or a North wind. I don't want my wind to reach the does nose.

Ofttimes the bucks will trail the does to the doe beds. If you hunt areas with large doe numbers I think this method is very good.
Another method I really like is to sleep in until about 8:00 AM and hunt just like you would in the PM. A lot of hunters don't like this method until they try it. You will get much less hunter burn out with this method. Plus if you can defecate at home rather in the field that is a huge plus. Nothing worse than getting all set up, cramp up, and have to bail at first light.

Stan are you secretly my father in law? Seems every time he breathesfresh air in the morning he "CRAMPS UP".

On a serious note, this is a great way to go after bucks on a rut morning.

Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:57 pm

Stanley wrote:For me I like to hunt the doe bedding with a 90 degree wind in the AM. The does normally aren't in the beds until after sunrise. So I like to keep my wind out of the bedding and out of the direction they will come from. So if I'm hunting an East to West doe travel rout I like to have a south wind or a North wind. I don't want my wind to reach the does nose.

I like your thinking stan

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:59 pm

Going in late and hunt like you do in the pm meaning?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”