Who do you listen to?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
exojam

Re: Who do you listen to?

Unread postby exojam » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:33 pm

Anyone who is kind enough to answer my (probably asked a million times) questions.

Many here, where I mainly look for deer advice could just pass my questions by but they do not.

So to all who give me tips, ideas, support and such, thanks!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Dampland

Unread postby Dampland » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:43 pm

I am really a big fan of Deer & Deer Hunting magazine, and have learned a ton of things from that publication over the last 30 years.

I have learned a lot from the Drury Brothers videos; but less the last couple years, as they seem to have sold out, and are more worried about pimping the Ram truck now days.

I have read at least 50 different deer hunting books, and subscribe to half a dozen hunting magazines. My dad did not deer hunt, so I had to learn on my own.

Now days, it is a great source of pride, that most of the members of my hunting group (even the older members) ask me for hunting advice on a regular basis. I guess I'm not such a big dummy after all! :whistle:
There is nothing better than the anticipation of the season, as the sun rises on opening morning.
Treeshark

Unread postby Treeshark » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:04 pm

I used to read everything I could find in search of "short cuts" to get me on big bucks. If there is one thing I have learned the past few seasons (and mainly from the guys on this site) is that no one can tell you any magic solution- it takes scouting and boots on the ground. When I first began to realize this, it was almost like finding out that Santa wasn't real- no magic bullet to eliminate the hard work that I was searching so long for!

So now I listen to guys on this site (like Dan) who, instead of selling some crazy "D.I.E-type" guaranteed formula, will look at a map you post, give you some pointers, but preface everything with "only one way to find out, get out and scout it out and tell us what you find."
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:09 pm

Waylon and Willie

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:44 pm

Dan, his videos and this forum have been the single best source of info I've found, but the question seems to be regarding "known" hunters not on this forum who put info out there so here is my short list:

Dr. Kroll, Art and Science of pattern whitetails feels dated, but still probably the best book written on the subject. Presents coherent patterning strategy, one disagreement is on the final set up, he advocates that you can't hunt a bucks sanctuary, but Dan has proven otherwise. Also, Dr. Krolls articles in North American Whitetail is the main reason I keep reading the magazine.

Don Higgins, both his books are good and he doesn't hunt like the guys on TV, he is hunting small pieces of private ground and gets it done.

Deer & Deer Hunting science articles, I think the hunting articles are usually the same stuff you see everywhere else. But you can't argue with actual science, the more you know about deer the better.

Last, same science theme as two of the three above is the "Whitetail advantage" by Dr. Dave Samuel. It is a Krause Publication, so it is edited as if hunters are children. But the info contained within is excellent.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:46 pm

Mostly the fellow that sits on my right shoulder... ;)
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:46 pm

Deer n deer hunting for me also... some good stuff in there.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
bigbob

Unread postby bigbob » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:07 pm

I don't post much here but this site has changed a lot of how I hunt.
Before that the wensels and wayyy before that miller.... I've quit reading magazines for the most part because I feel I've read everything they have to write for the most part.
It is interesting to read the newer wensels info and say, eberharts and see the similarities with this site. The info and ideas are similar but approaches different. To each his own

matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:18 pm

Tiffany Lakoski

MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:45 pm

I would say that most of the guys on tv are interested in selling products. I do listen to Dan Infalt and others on the huntingbeast.
Also I do listen to Adam Hayes and Adam Crumrin from Team 200 tv I think they're knowledgeable people. Also Andre D'Acquisto love Whitetail Addictions especially his bump and dump tips. Also Bill Winke, and from the old school Myles Keller and also because she is a
looker Tiffany Lakosky.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:35 pm

Zap wrote:Mostly the fellow that sits on my right shoulder... ;)

The devil or the angel? :mrgreen:

SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:48 pm

The wisdom found on the HB is second to none- no doubt about it, but sometimes it's nice to hear from voices of other generations or even centuries.

I can't honestly say I have read all of these yet, but authors on my list are Theodore Roosevelt, Howard Hill, Saxton Pope, Fred Bear, the journals of guys like Jedediah Smith and Meriwether Lewis.

Has anyone read anything of that caliber and if so what was your take away?

[glow=green]1 Chronicles 8:40, "The sons of Ulam were brave warriors who could handle the bow..."[/glow]
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:28 pm

Bowhunter4life wrote:I like buckys answer. Tons of valuable information shared on the pod cast. Hard to beat this forum though. Just tons of great hunters who are willing to share great ideas and tactics to help one another.

wired to hunt podcasts x3... and I couldn't agree more about the guys on the beast helping each other out. To me there's nothing better than a "this is what I've found from that situation..." opinion from a genuine every day hunter rather than some mainstream hunting celebrity hunting the best properties in the country.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:43 pm

Terry wrote:Anyone who hunts. I strongly believe that you can learn something from everyone. I consider myself very open minded and plan on staying that way.

After thinking about it I like this answer better than my original one. You are right we all offer unique perspectives on things and I truly believe that everyone here can provide some great experiences we can all learn from.

Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:18 am

Terry wrote:Anyone who hunts. I strongly believe that you can learn something from everyone. I consider myself very open minded and plan on staying that way.

I'll second this, any half decent hunter I've spent a day with has taught me something of use. I think hunting with a variety of types of hunters gives one perspective.
They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”