Getting a lot of flack for this one!! Long but please read

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

checkerfred
500 Club

Re: Getting a lot of flack for this one!! Long but please re

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:38 am

wolfie729 wrote:
cdeam wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:
cdeam wrote:
If you didn't learn from what happened and take that shot again you will almost certainly get burned. And I think you know that. That being said it makes it an unethical shot because you aren't that good at that distance if you are hitting deer in the rump.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

He may very well be that good a shot, but the delay at that range is so long the deer can react to much so things have to go perfect. So that's why I think it's such a risky shot. Not from a skill standpoint just external factors.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

What I'm saying is he ain't that good of a shot on game. Target bales are different than deer. Those long shots on alert white tails WILL burn him

The deer jumped like i stated and it seems people are of with taking long range shots at antelope, mule deer and elk but heaven forbid you do it on a whitetail I shoot and practice at long range and will continue to take deer at the range needed! All of my set ups are set in plans of deer coming close but if they dont and i can make it happen I will! This side of the mississipi its insane the other side no one would bat an eye!

Thats a nice deer and a heck of a shot! Congrats! My question is, by your statement above, you feel it's ethical and ok. So why even ask and/or defend your position on this? Only you know your abilities. With a gun, I wouldn't feel right taking a shot out past 300 yrds. Here, most places you hunt the longest shot you might have will be 100-200 yrds. So, I never practice for longer distance than that. But people do take 500-600 yrd shots on a deer.

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:31 am

I think this is the question. If you shoot at those distances do you think your rate of recovery will be high, or as high as it would at inside of 35 yds. I would say the answer is no over time..Not cause of the skill but because of the extra time allowing more varibles. which is why I say it's risky, but if you are ok with that then it's up to you, I just wouldn't be

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Make It Happen
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:44 am

The reality of it is that its a very long distance for archery.

Do what you want, but its a long shot.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”