Hill country blues

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cbay
500 Club

Hill country blues

Unread postby cbay » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:39 pm

If it weren't for the rut i would have a hard time seeing a mature buck on the public i hunt. Challenging topography with fickle winds, thick cover can't get an arrow through, areas where you can they won't go during daylight. Does everywhere to bust me and let the whole neighborhood know i'm there. :violin:
Might whine a little, but it's all good. Quitting is not in my dictionary. However, i sure am looking forward to some bucks making some love sick mistakes. :pray:

Last year i made a comment about being frustrated with the wind and Dan made a comment that stuck with me and will quote it for other beasts.
"Hunting valleys can lead to a long frustrating season, Get em up high"
There is a lot of value in that statement.

Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
checkerfred
500 Club

Re: Hill country blues

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:11 pm

I get discouraged every year. I have some land that I know some big bucks are going through but its down in a valley.....I'm starting to feel like my only hope is the rut and catching them wandering around. My only big mature buck that I killed done exactly this...cruised downwind of a doe bedding area. I didn't know it at the time b/c i knew nothing about hunting....I just knew I shot a big one. I want to learn to kill the in their beds though. I've got access to some private land that borders forest land. The total forest land is 180,000 acres +. It's hills and hollars....that's it. Lots of creeks and rivers cutting through. I know scouting is key, and even though I'm late to the game, bow season just started, I feel like I need to spend more time finding beds on the ridges. I found one the other day but couldn't tell if it was buck or do. Anyway, I get discouraged but I still keep coming back. I'm hoping one day this stuff all makes sense and things start to click.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:27 pm

cbay wrote:If it weren't for the rut i would have a hard time seeing a mature buck on the public i hunt. Challenging topography with fickle winds, thick cover can't get an arrow through, areas where you can they won't go during daylight. Does everywhere to bust me and let the whole neighborhood know i'm there. :violin:
Might whine a little, but it's all good. Quitting is not in my dictionary. However, i sure am looking forward to some bucks making some love sick mistakes. :pray:

Last year i made a comment about being frustrated with the wind and Dan made a comment that stuck with me and will quote it for other beasts.
[glow=red]"Hunting valleys can lead to a long frustrating season, Get em up high"[/glow]
There is a lot of value in that statement.

I think that is also correct IMO.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:33 pm

checkerfred wrote:I get discouraged every year. I have some land that I know some big bucks are going through but its down in a valley.....I'm starting to feel like my only hope is the rut and catching them wandering around. My only big mature buck that I killed done exactly this...cruised downwind of a doe bedding area. I didn't know it at the time b/c i knew nothing about hunting....I just knew I shot a big one. I want to learn to kill the in their beds though. I've got access to some private land that borders forest land. The total forest land is 180,000 acres +. It's hills and hollars....that's it. Lots of creeks and rivers cutting through. I know scouting is key, and even though I'm late to the game, bow season just started, I feel like I need to spend more time finding beds on the ridges. I found one the other day but couldn't tell if it was buck or do. Anyway, I get discouraged but I still keep coming back. I'm hoping one day this stuff all makes sense and things start to click.

I hear ya. I'm still more fired up than ever though. Just going to have to earn my stripes with a lot of hard work scouting and learning from every hunt.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:47 pm

cbay wrote:
checkerfred wrote:I get discouraged every year. I have some land that I know some big bucks are going through but its down in a valley.....I'm starting to feel like my only hope is the rut and catching them wandering around. My only big mature buck that I killed done exactly this...cruised downwind of a doe bedding area. I didn't know it at the time b/c i knew nothing about hunting....I just knew I shot a big one. I want to learn to kill the in their beds though. I've got access to some private land that borders forest land. The total forest land is 180,000 acres +. It's hills and hollars....that's it. Lots of creeks and rivers cutting through. I know scouting is key, and even though I'm late to the game, bow season just started, I feel like I need to spend more time finding beds on the ridges. I found one the other day but couldn't tell if it was buck or do. Anyway, I get discouraged but I still keep coming back. I'm hoping one day this stuff all makes sense and things start to click.

I hear ya. I'm still more fired up than ever though. Just going to have to earn my stripes with a lot of hard work scouting and learning from every hunt.

Yup! My main problem is finding beds.....I have only found one for sure buck bed and it was on private land I have access to, but not in the area I can hunt. It was a fairly large sized bed on a ridge point with perfect positioning. The other beds I have found seemed more like doe beds, though thinking back from this past weekend, the few I found on this one ridge might have been the same deer instead of multiple does. I feel like if I could find the beds I'd be in great shape. It's a challenge tho!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”