How to hunt the wind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter10
500 Club

How to hunt the wind

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:30 am

I've hunted for many years and constantly hunt the wind, I don't beleive in forget the wind just hunt tactic but atleast a few times a year I go in with a N wind for example, get to my tree and it's blowing S. I think I'm in need to some reading on wind. I hunt farmland with some gullies and ridges but nothing screaming hill/mountain country. Any suggestions

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Bucky

Re: How to hunt the wind

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:00 am

hunter10 wrote:I've hunted for many years and constantly hunt the wind, I don't beleive in forget the wind just hunt tactic but atleast a few times a year I go in with a N wind for example, get to my tree and it's blowing S. I think I'm in need to some reading on wind. I hunt farmland with some gullies and ridges but nothing screaming hill/mountain country. Any suggestions

Creeks, gullies, and even small hills create some thermal or air current effects.... (even inside corners of fields can sometimes cause a wind swirl effect due to the treeline making a turn! I'm with you... I try to hunt the wind. But sometimes I roll the dice too and hunt an iffy wind.... one buddy of mine always says if you don't like the wind direction for your stand turn and face the other way! :lol:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:08 am

Watch the forecast. Get on a weather service on the internet. Get a weather channel radio. Provided one internet weather predictor I use. On the way to the stand watch flags and people burning leaves to get a direction. Put up a weather vane at home. I use all these things this time of year.

http://www.accuweather.com
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:39 am

If you can get some milkweed... it will teach you lots about wind currents and thermals
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:02 am

Milkweed will is the ultimate wind tool. I find most places I hunt the wind is different that what they are saying it is
If you need some milkweed let me know I have some

welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:12 am

Everything is better with a bag of milkweed!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
phishy
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/james.harbaugh.94

Unread postby phishy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:01 am

i like milkweed, until it sticks to friggen everything i own...

pick it fresh.... and try to keep it separate somehow...little baggy?? but not in your hand muff ...with your gloves and hand warmer :roll:
Happiness is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it, so with that happiness is a choice one can consciously make, although often challenged by what happens to us, it is a choice nonetheless.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:23 am

Something that always hung me up was where the deer where coming from... if you don't know you really can't hunt the wind and that is where the turn around in your stand comes into play... so knowing where he is coming from is the main thing for me

Make It Happen
utica19

Unread postby utica19 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:18 pm

Never dry out a milkweed pod in your house and then try taking them out to put in your container. Unless you don't mind the indoor snowstorm that follows.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:32 pm

Swampbuck wrote:Something that always hung me up was where the deer where coming from... if you don't know you really can't hunt the wind and that is where the turn around in your stand comes into play... so knowing where he is coming from is the main thing for me

During the rut they can come from anywhere!

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:48 pm

Rough terrain seems to manipulate the wind at the surface. You got thermals working with wind blowing against hillsides and through gullies and draws. Someone here mentioned awhile back setting up where the wind is prevailing the most without all the swirling and terrain manipulation is the best way to set up in this scenario.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:00 pm

When the wind is light, thermals become more obvious particularly when hunting along any slopes, or by waterways. The bigger the hills the bigger the effects but they are still there in flatter land. The most difficult situations is when wind and thermals are about the same strength but different directions in a certain spot then you can get a massive swirling mess.

Like has been said get some milkweed seeds or something similar. It sounds simple but does a fantastic job of showing what air currents are doing over a distance, and that can help you figure out the why bit.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:16 pm

Bucky wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:Something that always hung me up was where the deer where coming from... if you don't know you really can't hunt the wind and that is where the turn around in your stand comes into play... so knowing where he is coming from is the main thing for me

During the rut they can come from anywhere!

I wondered if I was the only one that felt this way. I have 1, maybe 2 places that I know for sure which way the deer will come from. One is in woods next to a house...because I know they won't come from that way LOL. During the rut, I've caught bucks, mostly young ones cruising this area. I have spotted some larger ones as well but couldn't get a shot. I'm amazed at how some of you guys know exactly what the bucks are doing, where they are going, how they react to this and that. Then to know exactly how to setup on them. I too struggle with the wind. I'll look at the weather predictions, look at things outside etc, but many times I get to a stand and the wind is different. I haven't been able to make heads or tails as to why the wind does that at that location. Then adding in I don't know where the deer are coming from. I've been hunting for about 7-8 years now and just found this forum last year. I still have a lot to learn. I struggle but I keep trying.
Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:25 pm

hunter10 wrote:I've hunted for many years and constantly hunt the wind, I don't beleive in forget the wind just hunt tactic but atleast a few times a year I go in with a N wind for example, get to my tree and it's blowing S. I think I'm in need to some reading on wind. I hunt farmland with some gullies and ridges but nothing screaming hill/mountain country. Any suggestions

I'm with you on hunting the wind... but when the wind isn't co-operating I don't quit hunting, I just hunt a little different. I'll leave an area that I know is hot and I can bank on for a better day and pick a "wild card" area that I suspect should be good but if I stir it up my season wont be crippled. I don't hunt from a set stand, I still hunt, scout, let the day settle in. If the wind looks like its going to settle down I might find a stump by a promising area and have a sit. If not... well I've killed a fair bit of game still hunting when the wind was switching every couple minuets, I've never had much luck stand hunting in these conditions but that might just be me. You want to try and figure out what direction the wind is favoring a little more and use that to your advantage, sometimes it seems like you cant really win.

I think when the wind isn't behaving it makes things hard for both the hunter and the game, when the hunter is on the move it can make things just tricky enough for the game that you stand a chance. The only deer I've ever killed still hunting with a bow happened under these conditions, it was a doe that I arrowed at 40 yards, if I'd have stuck it out on stand I probably wouldn't have seen a thing.
They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:34 pm

I try to hunt the wind..especially since I'm always sweaty no matter what the weather due to steep ridges and long walks to where I hunt. But, it's really a waste of time for me due to the terrain..ridges and drainage's ..I hunt. I can drop 5 milk weeds one right after another and all go in different directions...not to mention the wind thermal will swap directions from very early morning as the day progresses.

I get blown at almost every hunt going and coming, while in stand and almost never have a deer close to me while I'm in a tree that doesn't know somethings up..even upwind sometimes. So..I broke down a few days ago and bought a Bee Smoker as much as I don't like smelling burnt smoke. I smoked everything, backpack, boots, socks, underwear..everything that goes with me. Put all of it in big cooler and put the spout of the Bee Smoker on the cooler drain plug, filled with smoke, shut lid and let sit overnight.

Hunted 3 times since and have not had a deer blow, had 4 deer..3 little bucks within 10yds downwind and none changed attitude..except one spike and I killed it with recurve as it turned to walk away. Could have been my tobacco spit on the ground it didn't like. So far I'm very pleased with the smoke.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”