baiting, good or bad for beast style hunts?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cameron

baiting, good or bad for beast style hunts?

Unread postby cameron » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:22 pm

Arkansas allows you to bait your deer. Every spring I go out and make mineral sites and then closer to season start with the attractants and usually corn. Ive gotten lots of great bucks on camera over the years but have never been able to kill any of them. The problem is that the area that I hunt is VERY pressured and everyone else has a stand/bait site On every ridge and if theres not one then you can bet that its being poached due to EVERY ridge having a road cut down the middle of it. My question is, after the bucks go nocturnal right before season, and I still have them somewhat patterned to a site at night, how do I need to hunt them? Theres so much pressure in these woods that deer are constantly being pushed around. This area is all "hill country" but is mostly developed, leaving hunters the ability to bowhunt the "commonwealth" property behind houses and undeveloped lots that are still wooded.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Zap

Re: baiting, good or bad for beast style hunts?

Unread postby Zap » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:56 pm

:think:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:10 pm

I have attracted mature bucks to bait sites in late season by placing them near their beds (200-300 yds). The buck I hunted last year (target buck) had me patterned and I never saw him, although he was hanging around between my hunts. At another site, I had an opportunity to take another big mature buck using the same methods but passed him up to keep the tag for the target buck. It can be done in low pressure areas for sure. I think it was BassboyLLP that has some experience with these methods. I'm pretty sure it was one of his posts that gave me the idea.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
phishy
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/james.harbaugh.94

Unread postby phishy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:20 pm

for what is worth... my 2 cents.

sounds like you're dealing a lot like the the county forests near me. they get pretty scrubbed over during the gun season, bow season is a bait fest, i like to follow trails to the bait and see how they are screwing it up by putting the stand on the predominantly up wind side of the bait or right on top of the bait. ... then i knew where the deer might skirt around to check the bait...with that...

1st i am skeptical that the poaching is bad as you indicate, otherwise there wouldn't be any deer on camera.

2nd, heavy baiting can turn deer nocturnal, but they still move in the day light. beast hunting concentrates on bedding areas and learning those areas....scouting is essential...and lots of it. in fact you should be scouting more than hunting, but do the bulk of it during the off season.

3rd if you haven't had time to scout, don't be afraid to bugger something up, keep moving, keep trying new areas, but have a plan of attack. learn to use air photos and watch wind/weather predictions... put dots on maps, keep track of where you hunted and how the wind was affecting the area, go back to those areas with different winds. learn the area and learn lots of them

4th don't expect immediate gratification when learning a new place, if you have lots of pressure, find those pockets where people are unwilling to go. ( on that note, i'm an overweight middle aged male adult, those area are not that difficult to access, if i can get into them, anyone can)

5th listen to that voice in your head, you'll develop the instincts but you need to listen to them. if you think the wind is wrong, it probably is, if you have a feeling about a tree, go with it,

lastly have fun
Happiness is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it, so with that happiness is a choice one can consciously make, although often challenged by what happens to us, it is a choice nonetheless.
cameron

Unread postby cameron » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:32 am

I really want to get away from baiting if I can and hunt the deer close to their bedrooms and hunt their travel routes. I do scout a ton and have found some good spots but only to have them messed up by other hunters or road hunters. Guys that ive talked to that kill good bucks year in and year out unfortunately wait until the snow is on and then drive around until they see a buck and then drive up the road get out and wait for the deer to come to them.or have someone push the deer towards them. Thats all good and legal but not the approach that I want to take. Ill definitely keep scouting to find buck beds and try to apply what I learn on here. Thanks for the input!

olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:10 am

1st if you're gonna continue to bait, you gotta hunt the downwind edges on transitions/bedding, staying mobile....you very well could kill a mature buck over bait, but you'd have to sit there all day every day, then he'll come in for bite sniff and be on his way, especially if you have pictures earlier in year

2nd if not baiting then all those other baits are holding deer anyway, beast style hunting tactics take over, same idea downwind transitions/bedding, funnels from bigger not as pressured pieces. Keep in mind year to year sign can change significantly all depending on where that bait is, just because you find some great sign in the off-season doesn't mean it's gonna be there next year, so hunting season scouting with stand on back imo is way to go! Of course not to say off-season scouting hurts, it's very beneficial finding that also

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:12 am

Dhurtubise wrote:I have attracted mature bucks to bait sites in late season by placing them near their beds (200-300 yds). The buck I hunted last year (target buck) had me patterned and I never saw him, although he was hanging around between my hunts. At another site, I had an opportunity to take another big mature buck using the same methods but passed him up to keep the tag for the target buck. It can be done in low pressure areas for sure. I think it was BassboyLLP that has some experience with these methods. I'm pretty sure it was one of his posts that gave me the idea.

X2, imo highest percentage time to connect with mature buck with bait!

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:17 am

Here in Wisconsin where baiting is permitted in certain counties, the law allows no more than 2-gallons per 40-contiguous acres. That being said, such a small bait site will dwindle quickly after the deer find it, which means more visits to the bait site to keep it stocked. The result... Nocturnal movement.

My $0.02
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:32 am

Sam Ubl wrote:Here in Wisconsin where baiting is permitted in certain counties, the law allows no more than 2-gallons per 40-contiguous acres. That being said, such a small bait site will dwindle quickly after the deer find it, which means more visits to the bait site to keep it stocked. The result... Nocturnal movement.

My $0.02

Not necessarily. Daily visits are better than intermittent visits.

Setting up a bait site is no different than setting up a back woods food plot. Layout, bedding, funneling obstructions, access, etc. They all come into play.

For the record, I'm not a baiter unless you count food plots. I just know a lot of people that do it well. The best ones don't sit over the bait!
olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:37 am

Sam Ubl wrote:Here in Wisconsin where baiting is permitted in certain counties, the law allows no more than 2-gallons per 40-contiguous acres. That being said, such a small bait site will dwindle quickly after the deer find it, which means more visits to the bait site to keep it stocked. The result... Nocturnal movement.

My $0.02

I agree totally, just like they never used to look up in trees, they adapt extremely well, but if there's bait we have to adapt accordingly, which unfortunately up here guys run multiple sites accordingly and hold a lot of deer.

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:24 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:

My $0.02

Setting up a bait site is no different than setting up a back woods food plot. Layout, bedding, funneling obstructions, access, etc. They all come into play.

For the record, I'm not a baiter unless you count food plots. I just know a lot of people that do it well. The best ones don't sit over the bait!

Bass is a smart guy. :)

Mature bucks can be killed with bait just like mature bear. Read bass's last sentence again.

olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:35 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:

My $0.02

Mature bucks can be killed with bait just like mature bear. Read bass's last sentence again.

Yepyepyep

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:40 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:

My $0.02

[glow=red]Mature bucks can be killed with bait just like mature bear.[/glow] Read bass's last sentence again.

Spot on Hodag. In addition to the feeding pattern stuff, one can manipulate and take advantage of rut stage buck bedding by establishing a bait pile (or a food plot).
cbniner

Unread postby cbniner » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:14 pm

Haha a new found challenge, waiting for bucks to hit the bait and then sneak in on them and hang a set and kill them...perfect

Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:52 pm

cbniner wrote:Haha a new found challenge, waiting for bucks to hit the bait and then sneak in on them and hang a set and kill them...perfect

It's a lot harder than it sounds if you want to kill a big one.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”