Sony HDR-AS30V Action Cam $139.99 1 DAY ONLY!!!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Sony HDR-AS30V Action Cam $139.99 1 DAY ONLY!!!!

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:02 pm

These normally go for $250 (although they sometimes have a few extra's for that price like an sd card) so this is a steal on a great bow cam! It's good in low light. It say's 170* fov, but with image stabalization on (which you want) it's 120* fov so the deer doesn't look so far away like a GoPro does. Even though I don't need it if there are any left by the end of the day I may just have to pick one up!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox?ref_=p ... pldnSite=1

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Re: Sony HDR-AS30V Action Cam $139.99 1 DAY ONLY!!!!

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:39 am

Thanks for posting the link. I actually just ordered a HDR-AS100v with accessories last night. With Amazon Prime, it should arrive tomorrow. Pretty excited! I am really starting to like Sony products. If you look at some of the comparison videos between Sony and GoPro, many people are picking the Sony's. They are certainly more streamlined and better suited for hunting applications IMO.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:11 am

bowhunter15 wrote:Thanks for posting the link. I actually just ordered a HDR-AS100v with accessories last night. With Amazon Prime, it should arrive tomorrow. Pretty excited! I am really starting to like Sony products. If you look at some of the comparison videos between Sony and GoPro, many people are picking the Sony's. They are certainly more streamlined and better suited for hunting applications IMO.

Yeah, they have great picture quality and their image stabilization is unmatched, which is important for hunting if your mounting it on a weapon. I have the AS-10 and I love how easy it is to set up and use. All you need is a cheap little plastic mount, a $0.97 ninety degree bracket, a nut with a washer (or locknut) and your in business. You can just reach forward with your thumb on the hand you hold your bow with, push the button and wallah! It powers up and starts recording. Very easy with very little movement.

The HDR-AS100V is the only reason I didn't pull the trigger last night. I really want a 100. I'm just hoping they do a deal of the day on it and that I catch it if they do. I could have sworn I seen one for $220 last night, but when I decided to take a second look I couldn't find it again.

The HDR-AS30V was already sold out early today. I figured they would be. You can bet the ebayer's and other Amazon sellers bought as many as they could afford as soon as they seen them. They will mark them up a $100 and then resell them. Some of these "pickers" will spend thousands of $$ when a deal like this shows up.

I hope you will do a review on the HDR-AS100V when you have all it figured out.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:41 am

I will add it to my list. There are a couple really good reviews on it already. I will make mine hunting specific to add something different. The package deal I got was $258.00. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IIW88T2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Came with a 32Gb card, HDMI, extra battery with charger, mini tripod, telescoping monopod, cleaning stuff, and a case.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:03 am

Nice package deal. A couple more things you might want to consider adding at some point are the Sony Hard Lens Protector
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-AKAHLP1-Acti ... Action+Cam

Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger.
http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Cybe ... y_p_text_y

You probably wouldn't really need these, but they might come in handy. Especially the lens protector.
tcop7
500 Club

Unread postby tcop7 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:23 pm

Would this camera work very good as a primary camera? Or would it be better for a secondary camera for video of you drawing your bow, climbing the tree, and such?
[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:56 pm

tcop7 wrote:Would this camera work very good as a primary camera? Or would it be better for a secondary camera for video of you drawing your bow, climbing the tree, and such?

Hard to say. I guess it depends on what your idea of Primary is. Your not going to get a close up like with a camcorder and camera man. Like I mentioned above, it has a 120* fov (with image stabilization on) compared to Gopro's 170* fov. So a deer would look about 30% closer with the Sony than the Gopro, if that helps any.

It's good enough for me. Especially since I don't take long shot's and have a 42" TV. If you turn the image stabilization off you get the same fov as the GoPro (170*) so it's a good secondary camera for sure in that mode. Nothing beats a camcorder for zooming in just right, but the Sony will capture the hunt without the hassel that comes with a camcorder. Just reach out with your thumb and push the button. The camera turns on and starts recording. Quick, easy, silent and virtually no movement.

Here is a video bowhunter15 did with a contour roam which I believe has a 170* fov (the same as a GoPro). Picture the deer he shoots about 30% closer or "bigger" and you will have a good idea of what you would get with the Sony. Except the Sony has a lot better video quality and low light ability.

[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDJ-QP_xv2w&list=UUrWvet_L5H1_AV3kATmydnQ[/bbvideo]
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:20 am

The contour actually has two modes like the Sony. If you're in 720p it's a wide angle (170°) but in 1080p its 125°. I'm pretty sure I filmed that at the narrower 1080p, so expect the Sony to be similar with steadyshot on. That being said, image quality should be noticeably better with the Sony than the contour roam in the video. That one has a max bitrate of 15Mbps, but the Sony is capable of 50 with it's proprietary video format. Plus it has a Zeiss lens which is higher quality glass. The sensor is more advanced also.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:56 pm

I made a short video for you guys to see my action cam setup I plan to start using. The noise when I put it on is not loud. I just had my bow about 12" in front of the mic. Also, when I said it comes right off and then it took me a couple seconds it was because at first I was pulling on the mounting bracket. :doh: lol

http://vid538.photobucket.com/albums/ff ... yxvejo.mp4

I'm hoping to change out lenses in one of my SJ1000's to a lot closer view after the season or maybe in December. I'm thinking of trying 60* and 80* lenses and maybe one more. I'm just not sure what I want yet. Right now I'm kind of regretting not getting the HDR AS-30 I started this thread about. I could have swapped it for my HDR AS-10 on my bow and then put in a new lens in the AS-10 to try to see how it worked out with the optical image stabilization.

bowhunter15
Did you get your camera yet? I'm looking forward to hearing your initial thoughts on it.
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:48 am

My thoughts on the HDR-AS100v (not the one in the thread title):

Negatives first: it only comes in white. I would've preferred black. There's no laser level. On my Contour Roam I can press a button that shines a horizontal laser line so I can ensure the camera is level on the side of my head. With the Sony I have to double check the reflection on my phone. The screen doesn't rotate, another nice feature that the contour had.

Positives: I like the 50Mbps XAVC S format (only with fast SDXC cards). It's an efficient, high quality codec and is easy to color correct to match my main camera (ie make it look less action cam-ish and more professional). The image stabilization is awesome, and it's easy to use in the woods. One button push to turn on and start recording. The video quality is noticeably better than the old contour, and comparison videos on YouTube show it's comparable to the Gopro 4. The standard waterproof housing is okay but you need to get a flat front housing for better underwater quality.

I have done all of my filming with it so far either hand-held or on the side of my head (with a headstrap mount). I have footage that I'll upload as a season review, unless I shoot another deer on film before that. It works well as a head mount, but you really need to be sure it's pointing the right direction or the main action will be off to the side. Also, I will probably try out deerslayer's 90 degree bracket idea for the stabilizer mount. Then, if need be, I could always put the Contour roam on my head for a 3rd angle.

Overall, there are cheaper ones out there. This was really the only cam that had all the things I really wanted (form factor, ease of use, high quality codec, image stabilization, high framerate for slow motion [up to 120p at low res]). If you don't need all of that, then you'd be fine with a lower model, but you probably won't regret the AS100V either.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:30 pm

bowhunter15 wrote:...With the Sony I have to double check the reflection on my phone...

Have you tried the smart phone app so you can see what the camera see's?
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:39 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:
bowhunter15 wrote:...With the Sony I have to double check the reflection on my phone...

Have you tried the smart phone app so you can see what the camera see's?

Yes, I just tried the Sony Play Memories Mobile app and it does work. It's got a little bit of lag but good enough to see your field of view and start and stop recording.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”