Cold Weather Bowhunting Clothing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter74201

Re: Cold Weather Bowhunting Clothing

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:58 am

for temps around 25-40 (say typical mid november temps), first lite merino bases, a poly insulating layer, a cabelas micro berber fleece shirt and cabelas wooltimate fleece pants and jacket. anything colder than that, i'm in my iwom.

phishy
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/james.harbaugh.94

Unread postby phishy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:26 am

I discovered if I can keep my hands warm then I am warm all over. I wear a light weight knit gloves and use a hand muff with a disposable hand warmer. Amazing the difference warm hands make. Next are my feet, I purchased military winter boot (Mickey Mouse boots) and they are the warmest boot I have ever tried. From there it’s about the neck and torso, if it’s really cold, bibs makes a huge difference keeping your core warm.

In the end it’s about my hands and feet, then I progressively layer more around my core as winter sets in.
Happiness is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it, so with that happiness is a choice one can consciously make, although often challenged by what happens to us, it is a choice nonetheless.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:59 am

Im thinking Jeans, long sleeve T-shirt now that I own a HBS. 8-)
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:07 am

phishy wrote:I discovered if I can keep my hands warm then I am warm all over. I wear a light weight knit gloves and use a hand muff with a disposable hand warmer. Amazing the difference warm hands make. Next are my feet, I purchased military winter boot (Mickey Mouse boots) and they are the warmest boot I have ever tried. From there it’s about the neck and torso, if it’s really cold, bibs makes a huge difference keeping your core warm.

In the end it’s about my hands and feet, then I progressively layer more around my core as winter sets in.

Good point about the extremities, hands and feet are critical to stay comfortable. I use those mickey mouse boots too for sub-zero temps, they are great.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:58 pm

I'd really like to buy some of the merino stuff this year. I've been saying it the last couple of years and just can't bite the bullet. Is the first lite and/or the minus 33 stuff really worth the money? I'm seeing prices for the expedition stuff around $90. Is the midweight stuff good enough for WI hunting in say temps 20-40, cuz that's a little cheaper around $55.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:04 pm

briar wrote:Being warm on stand is a very individual need. I simply cannot do it and I have spent thousands trying. Just this saturday it was 50 degrees when I climbed up and it never really changed. I sat about 3 hours. On top I had 3 layers of merino wool and my gore tex browning rain jacket that is totally waterproof and windproof.

By 10 am I literally could not move my fingers enough to open the little cams on my LW climber. It took me 5 minutes of breathing on them just to manage to get it open and get the stand packed up. I could feel that cold in my hands and feet until late that night. IF you are a guy that gets cold it is miserable and debilitating in the stand. I have a set of GWW wool bibs, parka and vest, and it helps, but I am still aching after a few hours.

Try Infalt's trick of waxing the one side inside the track to make opening and closing the can easier. I believe you wax the inside opposite the can. There's a thread on here somewhere that mentions it.
Lastly, if you haven't tried the HBS, I highly recommend. I get cold easily, but not while wearing the HBS.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:05 pm

briar wrote:Being warm on stand is a very individual need. I simply cannot do it and I have spent thousands trying. Just this saturday it was 50 degrees when I climbed up and it never really changed. I sat about 3 hours. On top I had 3 layers of merino wool and my gore tex browning rain jacket that is totally waterproof and windproof.

By 10 am I literally could not move my fingers enough to open the little cams on my LW climber. It took me 5 minutes of breathing on them just to manage to get it open and get the stand packed up. I could feel that cold in my hands and feet until late that night. IF you are a guy that gets cold it is miserable and debilitating in the stand. I have a set of GWW wool bibs, parka and vest, and it helps, but I am still aching after a few hours.

Try Infalt's trick of waxing the one side inside the track to make opening and closing the cam easier. I believe you wax the inside opposite the cam. There's a thread on here somewhere that mentions it.
Lastly, if you haven't tried the HBS, I highly recommend. I get cold easily, but not while wearing the HBS.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:10 pm

I use the predator base layer then the rivers west merino wool base layer a old scent lok heavy weight base layer then the outer layer of predator fleece and that keeps me pretty warm down to the 20s if the wind is not real strong. I two would like more merino wool and a cabalas Berber outfitter fleece for when it gets colder.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:11 pm

I would loose one layer of merino and add a fleece insulating layer and a hand warmer muff wth some hand warmers.

The insulating booties that you put on when you get to your spot keep feet warm.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:13 pm

Wicking layer against the skin.

Fleece insulating layer or layers.

Windproof layer.

Hand muff with handwarmers and slip on booties.

A good watch cap and gaiter can work wonders.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:02 am

Anyone bought this?? http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... =Bowhunter

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”