Sugar Maples

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Sugar Maples

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:56 am

I remember Dan mentioning how attracted deer are to sugar maples leaves when the leaves are in the "right stage"

I pulled into a facility today and as I approached this tree there were 7 deer feeding underneath it.

Though I would share pictures of the tree and it's colors so you could recognize the leaf colors when deer eat them.
Image Image

[ Post made via Android ] Image

superseal

Re: Sugar Maples

Unread postby superseal » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:13 am

I heard that in the podcast. I'm going to have to try a few!
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:13 am

Same as with oak trees and acorns, Sugar Maples are more ideal if there are only a hand full of them in a wood lot. Around me, most the wood lots are full of sugar maples, the deer can lay on their backs with their mouths open. Makes for pretty slow hunting on those properties during the middle of October.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:39 am

Redman232 wrote:Same as with oak trees and acorns, Sugar Maples are more ideal if there are only a hand full of them in a wood lot. Around me, most the wood lots are full of sugar maples, the deer can lay on their backs with their mouths open. Makes for pretty slow hunting on those properties during the middle of October.

Yep... Isolated patches are best.
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:30 am

Redman232 wrote:Same as with oak trees and acorns, Sugar Maples are more ideal if there are only a hand full of them in a wood lot. Around me, most the wood lots are full of sugar maples, the deer can lay on their backs with their mouths open. Makes for pretty slow hunting on those properties during the middle of October.

I've for sure noticed them pounding the maple shoots in cuts by me, but the supply is endless, same with massive maple stands up here!

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:36 pm

i am a believer as well...

its weird because many hunters (myself included) dont think of dropped leaves as being a hot food source...

i didnt learn that till last season...ive seen it before...but it never really hit home till last season...i hunted a spot that has a good number of sugars...they were dropping hard and the deer came through like vacuum cleaners...

hard to time and doesnt usually last really long...but can make for great hunting...

just like finding that hot oak tree....

i always keep an eye out for things like that...a hill that has a patch of sugars...or a cluster of white or chestnut oaks...trees that arent common in the area...

i spend a lot of time chasing my coon dog through the woods...thats when i find my best deer spots...and thats just why...through the years i took notice of things like that...and now that i know a little more about deer i know where to head...

you read about the "october lull" on forums....the deer dont vanish...but its a transition period...bachelor groups break up...food sources change...and food can be crazy abundant...finding the hot food source can be the key...
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:26 pm

We get that with Hickory and Beechnut where I hunt

Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:21 am

I think I've posted about a spot I hunt before, that has a creek dividing a hillside with a hand full of white oaks on one side and small sugar maple grove on the other. It is a primo spot for deer activity during the middle of October, and a good spot for early cruisers, with great access via the creek for multiple sits.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:09 am

olivertractor wrote:

I've for sure noticed them pounding the maple shoots in cuts by me, but the supply is endless, same with massive maple stands up here!

We have some but not a lot. That must make for a pretty fall up there. I just talked to a guy from a company we do work for and he just got back from a service call somewhere northwest of Green Bay. He said the trees were beautiful up there.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”