Hunting North-Woods Bucks book

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hunting North-Woods Bucks book

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:33 am

Steve Heiting wrote:Hi guys:

Thank you for the positive comments regarding my book. I hope those of you who read it enjoyed it. It started with my search for books about the subject, and the closest I could find were Hunting Big Woods Bucks, Vols. 1&2, by Maine guide Hal Blood. Both are excellent reads with great info, especially if you are into or want to learn about tracking and still-hunting. I'm primarily a stand-hunter, but I've also taken lots of deer via drives, and I started writing and the next thing I knew I had finished a book.

To add to Hodag Hunter's comment about my spending lots of time scouting, I do live in northern Wisconsin, but between work and some recent family considerations, I can't spend as much time scouting as I'd like. In the last few years I've used online tools such as Google Earth as much as actual boot leather for my scouting, and since I look for funnels I often already know what I'm going to find before I make tracks. In fact, I killed a nice 9-pointer on Sunday, 11/9, with my crossbow from a stand whose location I found using Google Earth.

Thanks again for your interest and comments, and good luck this fall!

You sound a lot like the guys who hang out on this forum... 8-)

christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:37 am

I ordered a copy :dance:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:47 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Dewey wrote:Welcome to the Beast Steve, glad to have you here. Congrats on your 9 pt. Any pics?

I really enjoyed your book and reading it again before the gun season.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Great northwoods buck Steve! :clap:
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:13 am

Nice buck Steve, and welcome to the BEAST!

I am actually reading and taking notes on Hal Bloods book right now since I'm on vacation. It is a great book to see how he uses certain tactics and when to try new approaches.

I think that skilled hunters who take the time and effort to teach others via books, online forums, videos, podcasts, etc are doing a great service to others. So thank you for writing your book. I will add it to my Christmas list as expanding my hunting library is my focus right now.

It is really amazing the difference between novices and skilled veterans. It is also quite interesting to see that many of the veterans have very similar traits, approaches and skill sets despite what region in which they hunt. In fact, Hal Blood talks about hunting near buck beds in early season in his book. Many other times as I am taking notes :geek: I will notice, "Hey, I've read this about five times on the BEAST". When this happens I usually take notice as it verifies a proven technique. Since I am only in my third season hunting as a adult I have much to learn. (And I always will.)

Anyway, thank you for making time and effort. I am very grateful for all here on the BEAST and everyone who makes an effort to help others learn and grow in skill.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Steve Heiting
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/steve.heiting.5

Unread postby Steve Heiting » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:14 am

Hi guys:

Thank you for all the positive comments and kudos for the buck. But please, do not get me confused with a hunting expert. The only experts in the woods are the deer themselves. I'm just a guy who really likes to hunt and since I don't like to make the same mistake twice, I like to think I've learned something from my many years of mistakes.

Jackson Marsh ...? Kind of in between West Bend and Milwaukee? I've hunted there, but not since I was a kid. My hometown is West Bend.
AB_Vinny

Unread postby AB_Vinny » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:33 pm

I live in Edmonton, Alberta. Would this book apply to me too? (low deer density and cold)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Steve Heiting
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/steve.heiting.5

Unread postby Steve Heiting » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:25 am

AB_Vinny wrote:I live in Edmonton, Alberta. Would this book apply to me too? (low deer density and cold)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Hi Vinny: I've not hunted in Alberta (yet), but I have hunted a lot in Ontario and other low density, cold weather areas.

If you want to sample the book, you can visit http://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Northwood ... oods+bucks and click on "Look Inside" in the upper left corner. You can read the index, foreword, preface and introduction, and then make the call.

Perhaps others who have read the book and have hunted in Alberta could help Vinny out ...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”