Locating doe bedding on topo maps

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Locating doe bedding on topo maps

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:29 pm

I continue to read about hunting near doe bedding as the rut approaches. I tried searching the forums and couldn't find any info on if it was possible to locate doe bedding based on topo or aerial maps. I know Dan covered some of the characteristics of doe bedding in his videos but I left those videos at my dad's house (I know big mistake) and I don't remember if he covered finding doe bedding based on topo maps. With many guys here going in blind what are some ways of guessing where doe bedding will be on topo or aerial maps in order to help increase one's success during the pre-rut/rut?

christian1
500 Club

Re: Locating doe bedding on topo maps

Unread postby christian1 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:53 pm

Deserves a bump :shock:
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:12 am

I've found some doe bedding areas while scouting for buck beds. My guess is they bed the same way but are less picky about wind direction and habitat. Seems like does like it thick and bucks prefer thick behind them with a view in front.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:13 am

I don't have as much experience as some of the experienced members, and I'm sure some of them will be more help, but the hill country has been a little easier for me to locate doe bedding. I've seen doe bedding on points coming off of ridges on the leeward side just like buck bedding but I've noticed that they don't seem to be as picky about the amount of cover, it can be more open. I've also found doe bedding close to these points but higher up and off to the side on the main ridge. Finding doe bedding seems to be more random for me on flatter areas where I use an arial map, but is usually around some type of edge. This type of area is where I struggle predicting the bedding.

utica19

Unread postby utica19 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:16 am

cdeam wrote:I've found some doe bedding areas while scouting for buck beds. My guess is they bed the same way but are less picky about wind direction and habitat. Seems like does like it thick and bucks prefer thick behind them with a view in front.

I know there's plenty of folks here more knowledgeable than me on this topic, but I have found doe bedding more in an open wooded area than I would a buck. Also they bed spread out and face in different directions (when more than 1 obviously) from what I have seen. This might be why they are maybe not as wind dependant as bucks, since this type of bedding often has eyes 360 degrees.
Not saying does don't use the wind, but I've seen doe bed clusters in places that I couldn't imagine a solo buck bedding in .
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:54 am

The doe bedding around here (hill country w/no ag) has the most concentrations on south facing hills with decent cover and low benches in valleys. A mix of cedars and/or overgrown fields in those scenarios makes it even better.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:14 am

Most of the doe bedding i find is close to food sources or right in a food source.

Hill country I find the circular bedding patterns right at the tops of ridges where they can see 360 degrees. Dan pointed this out in his scouting workshop and now I recognize it every time i come across it:

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:14 am

Thanks for the replies. It seems like those who have replied feel doe bedding is more random than mature buck bedding and therefore may be more difficult to predict in an area that hasn't been previously scouted. I think it's then safe to say it's best to sit near terrain funnels near suspected buck bedding in hill country. I find myself hunting in hill country this year following a recent military move and didn't have a chance to do spring scouting so I'm relying on beast tactics. I thought this would be a good topic to see if others had noticed any doe bedding patterns like Dan and many others have found with bucks that could be helpful during the rut. Good luck to everyone as the rut approaches and if anyone notices anymore doe bedding patterns please feel free to add.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:26 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:Thanks for the replies. It seems like those who have replied feel [glow=red]doe bedding is more random than mature buck bedding[/glow] and therefore may be more difficult to predict in an area that hasn't been previously scouted. I think it's then safe to say it's best to sit near terrain funnels near suspected buck bedding in hill country. I find myself hunting in hill country this year following a recent military move and didn't have a chance to do spring scouting so I'm relying on beast tactics. I thought this would be a good topic to see if others had noticed any doe bedding patterns like Dan and many others have found with bucks that could be helpful during the rut. Good luck to everyone as the rut approaches and if anyone notices anymore doe bedding patterns please feel free to add.

I think doe bedding is more random and not nearly as predictable.

In your original post on this topic, you mentioned "With many guys here going in blind what are some ways of guessing where doe bedding will be on topo or aerial maps in order to help increase one's success during the pre-rut/rut"

During the time of pre-rut and rut, I think hunting the rut funnels are the best choice for increasing your chances. However, I would pay attention to how close some "good" predicted buck bedding areas are to the rut funnels you plan to sit.

If you search for rut tactics, there are some really good topics concerning where and what time of the day to sit different hunting areas throughout the day. Parallel trails are excellent choices to hunt a buck during the rut too.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:48 pm

If there is a terrain feature to focus on for doe bedding I've not found it. I find bedding areas on ridge tops, points, benches, bottoms, etc.

They do tend to bed where it's flat or gently sloping...south facing slopes when it's really cold.

And be careful not to get fooled by where they lay a chew the cud at night...but take note, excellent way to distinguish the primary food source.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”