Convince me on the beast mode

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter10
500 Club

Convince me on the beast mode

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:40 pm

Hi guys,

Have done alot of reading and see alot of guys have adapted to this new to me beast style hunting, purchased the LW stand and sticks and go in fresh each time. I am interested but need a few things cleared up.

1. I hunt private land of 50-100 farms. it seems as though these areas are too small to setup fresh each time in fear of burning out the whole bush?

2. I am not interested in young deer, only mature bucks and in my areas there sometimes is only 1 or 2 bucks and they travel between many farms (buck may bed on my land 1x a week for example)

3. I have pre hung stands up and have yet to kill a mature BOW buck. is this because i am missing the beast style or not hunting the funnels, bedding areas hard enough??

4. my access points are limited, I am unsure if i can hunt fresh each time without my scent blowing into know bedding thickets or crossing crop fields (corn, beans)

5. LW stand and sticks are expensive, is it worth the money to buy and get rid of/limit use of my previous 8 ladder/lockons?

thank you, looking for detailed information or your "ah ha" moment that brought you to higher more frequent success!

Zap

Re: Convince me on the beast mode

Unread postby Zap » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:47 pm

You can kill a good buck every season by using pre-sets in the right place and using them correctly during the rut.

But then you are waiting and hoping.

Or you can do the work and find big deer and move in on them early and late season.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:54 pm

If your private land is limited you can both reduce pressure on your land and expand your own hunting by hitting some public. Probably a good way to learn as well because if you mess some a set who cares.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:13 pm

Hunter10,

A lot of guys here hunt a bunch of ways. Check out the hunter profiles on the "all time best tactical" threads.

But it makes sense. We are only hunting during the day. If your buck is up chasing does on the rut, then great. If it's outside the rut, then a mature buck will be bedded down during most of the huntable hours. So if you want to kill him, then find him during huntable hours. That would be in or near his bed.

BTW, I don't own a LW. I do have two feet. Didn't even have to buy them. They came free with my legs!

I hope this helps!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:15 pm

1. I hunt private land of 50-100 farms. it seems as though these areas are too small to setup fresh each time in fear of burning out the whole bush?

It depends on the specific farm or area. I have small properties that have multiple spots I can sit fresh at least once or twice a season. Part of beast style is having a lot of different spots though. If that means knocking on more doors or checking out some public than so be it.

2. I am not interested in young deer, only mature bucks and in my areas there sometimes is only 1 or 2 bucks and they travel between many farms (buck may bed on my land 1x a week for example)

Lots of areas have only one or two mature bucks to hunt. It's your job as a beast hunter to figure them out, know their habits... SCOUT, SCOUT, SCOUT. Also, If you're only after mature bucks I hope you have several less than mature bucks under your belt already because half the battle may be getting the experience from those younger deer. You don't want to set your standards higher than they realistically should be or you may be in for a letdown.

3. I have pre hung stands up and have yet to kill a mature BOW buck. is this because i am missing the beast style or not hunting the funnels, bedding areas hard enough??

See my answer to question #2. Also, I can't say because I don't know anything about the location of your pre-set stands. Beast-style is based on hot sign and bedding.

4. my access points are limited, I am unsure if i can hunt fresh each time without my scent blowing into know bedding thickets or crossing crop fields (corn, beans)

Your scent crossing crop fields generally shouldn't be a concern if you're hunting near bedding areas. Don't hunt a spot unless the conditions are perfect. If access can't be done without your wind messing up the hunt than wait for a wind that won't give you away.

5. LW stand and sticks are expensive, is it worth the money to buy and get rid of/limit use of my previous 8 ladder/lockons?

Since I bought the LW stand and sticks and used it enough to get used to it I hardly ever hunt out of anything else and I definitely see more deer on the fresh sits as a result. I have about 8 hang-on stands too and they just sit in my garage now with the exception of a few that I have kept in rut locations

thank you, looking for detailed information or your "ah ha" moment that brought you to higher more frequent success!
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:58 pm

Thanks guys, seems interesting. I came up on a thread explaining how some guys can always shoot does and small bucks every year, see them often etc but can't get the big one. I am in that boat. I have passed up many deer waiting on the big guy, I have only shot 1 mature buck during muzzleloader couple years back 130" but for a pressured area he must have gotten stupid. Walked in daylight across a field and through my funnel. Anyway, I find myself stuck and not sure what exactly will give me the switch. I am nervous to hunt aggressive as my farms have 1 bedding area. Feel if I bust him out beast style I am out of the game until the rut..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:05 pm

hunter10 wrote:Thanks guys, seems interesting. I came up on a thread explaining how some guys can always shoot does and small bucks every year, see them often etc but can't get the big one. I am in that boat. I have passed up many deer waiting on the big guy, I have only shot 1 mature buck during muzzleloader couple years back 130" but for a pressured area he must have gotten stupid. Walked in daylight across a field and through my funnel. Anyway, I find myself stuck and not sure what exactly will give me the switch. I am nervous to hunt aggressive as my farms have 1 bedding area. Feel if I bust him out beast style I am out of the game until the rut..

The guys that are knocking down big bucks every year are not killing small bucks every year (this is key). Small parcels must be hunted smart to get multiple hunts out of them. Most guys don't have big private parcels to hunt. I have some friends that have hunted 45 years plus each and have never killed a big buck. They do however kill a lot of small bucks.

I set a guy up on 4 bucks (one P&Y) I had patterned early season. I told the guy where to set up and what wind to hunt the spot (East). Talked to the guy a few weeks later, said he hunted the spot but the bucks didn't show. I asked him if he hunted an East wind. He said no "I set up on a west wind". :think: West wind was blowing right into the area the bucks were coming from. This was 25 years ago. I still remember.

A good friend of mine had never killed a P&Y buck. I told him I would set him up on P&Y buck over the week end (this was about 15 years ago). He goes hunting, killed a spike and burned his tag the day before I was going to take him out. I never offered to help him again. He to this day has not killed a P&Y buck.

There is a reason guys don't kill good bucks when there are good bucks around.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:19 pm

hunter10 wrote:Thanks guys, seems interesting. I came up on a thread explaining how some guys can always shoot does and small bucks every year, see them often etc but can't get the big one. I am in that boat. I have passed up many deer waiting on the big guy, I have only shot 1 mature buck during muzzleloader couple years back 130" but for a pressured area he must have gotten stupid. Walked in daylight across a field and through my funnel. Anyway, I find myself stuck and not sure what exactly will give me the switch. I am nervous to hunt aggressive as my farms have 1 bedding area.Feel if I bust him out beast style I am out of the game until the rut..

True, if you bust him out, chances are you're out of the game. On the other hand, if you sit too far away from his bed... you are also out of the game. I say GO FOR IT. Don't be afraid to screw up thats how you learn. I believe successful hunting in today's world boils down to one of two things: 1) Having almost zero pressure to keep big bucks on their feet 2) Scout hard and hunt lots of different locations super aggressively. Try and figure out which works best for your situation. Bumping him once isn't going to make him void the area during rut IMO
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:13 am

Motivated wrote:Hunter10,

A lot of guys here hunt a bunch of ways. Check out the hunter profiles on the "all time best tactical" threads.

But it makes sense. We are only hunting during the day. If your buck is up chasing does on the rut, then great. If it's outside the rut, then a mature buck will be bedded down during most of the huntable hours. So if you want to kill him, then find him during huntable hours. That would be in or near his bed.

BTW, I don't own a LW. I do have two feet. Didn't even have to buy them. They came free with my legs!

I hope this helps!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Take the points Motivated mentions to heart! You can learn a lot from many very good hunters on here - you will notice they do have similarities but are not cookie cutter identical. Buying a LW by itself is not going to get you a big buck - time and effort scouting and strategizing will. The TOTAL cost of my hunting gear when I am in the woods INCLUDING bow and accessories, arrows, gear, clothes, and stand is about $800.

All you have to do is decide if you want to put in the time and effort to be more mobile. You can still use some pre-hung sets but need to commit to hunting them once or twice max and re-evaluate where they are EVERY YEAR. You can also hunt from the ground, use cheaper portable stand maybe a climber, etc. I used to hunt a bunch of small farms just like you, most of the time the mature bucks were drifting around from property to property. That's normal. Become more mobile and start looking at where a mature buck will most likely for a certain time of year and certain conditions and your success will go up I guarantee it.

One other thing - I get the feeling that more mobile hunting targeting bedding seems high impact to you. Its actually lower impact than what you are doing right now because I bet all the resident mature bucks know where your favorite stands are - they are on to you. Hunt a good bedding area and if nothing is there you move on. The last thing you want to do is pound a spot till nothing uses it. That's where the being mobile part comes in. Farm country bucks get bumped randomly all the time. It does mean its easier to cover a lot of land but if you have several 100 acre farms you should be able to move around pretty well. If you want more space hunt some public too like has been suggested.
Mibowhunter91

Unread postby Mibowhunter91 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:20 am

Lockdown wrote:
hunter10 wrote:Thanks guys, seems interesting. I came up on a thread explaining how some guys can always shoot does and small bucks every year, see them often etc but can't get the big one. I am in that boat. I have passed up many deer waiting on the big guy, I have only shot 1 mature buck during muzzleloader couple years back 130" but for a pressured area he must have gotten stupid. Walked in daylight across a field and through my funnel. Anyway, I find myself stuck and not sure what exactly will give me the switch. I am nervous to hunt aggressive as my farms have 1 bedding area.Feel if I bust him out beast style I am out of the game until the rut..

True, if you bust him out, chances are you're out of the game. On the other hand, if you sit too far away from his bed... you are also out of the game. I say GO FOR IT. Don't be afraid to screw up thats how you learn. I believe successful hunting in today's world boils down to one of two things: 1) Having almost zero pressure to keep big bucks on their feet 2) Scout hard and hunt lots of different locations super aggressively. Try and figure out which works best for your situation. Bumping him once isn't going to make him void the area during rut IMO

X2 exactly what I was thinking

whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:46 am

Lockdown wrote:

X3

Well said!

Taking the "safe" route might have you out of the game anyway too. In years past I had spots that allowed me to hunt multiple times without screwing them up but it didn't do me much good as they weren't in the right spots. Essentially, I was still out of the game until the rut even though I was able to hunt a lot.

Give your best spots your best shot on days when the conditions are best and you'll probably be better off than if you were to sit other stands day after day.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:02 am

whitetail_addict wrote:
Lockdown wrote:

X3

Well said!

Taking the "safe" route might have you out of the game anyway too. In years past I had spots that allowed me to hunt multiple times without screwing them up but it didn't do me much good as they weren't in the right spots. Essentially, I was still out of the game until the rut even though I was able to hunt a lot.

Give your best spots your best shot on days when the conditions are best and you'll probably be better off than if you were to sit other stands day after day.

Great advice.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:03 pm

Fellas, great info forsure. I want to give it a try and know of general bedding areas. It doesn't seem wise to smash through a bedding thicket looking for a buck bed this close to pre rut or should I? Maybe hunt the fringes and work my way in?

xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:12 pm

Check out my post in the kill zone if you haven't already: viewtopic.php?f=287&t=27062

I tried to structure the story so that people new to the site could gain some of the tips that I've learned from the beast. Next to my bow, my LW sticks and stand is my most valuable piece of equipment. It's not easy carrying your setup in and setting it up every single time but the mobility and flexibility it gives me is so valuable.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”