Beast question for dan and any other beast type hunter

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MACHINIST

Beast question for dan and any other beast type hunter

Unread postby MACHINIST » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:37 pm

Did you start by hunting beds like you do or did you just evolve after finding what worked and what didn't?I found 3 different spots this year that I will attempt it and one will be this weekend,the wind needs to a west southwest and I will have that all day saturday during our first day of muzzleloader season.I am going in early and sitting all day I think.Past that I am having a really tough time convincing myself to stay out and one of those places is on a leased property and the other lessee is clueing in on where I want to sit but he is staying away

HoosierG5
500 Club

Re: Beast question for dan and any other beast type hunter

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:41 pm

From watching the hill country dvd (again) I really thought about all day sits and moving as the day goes on due to the thermsl changes...food for thought

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:57 pm

I have evolved... Still evolving. You never stop growing unless you develope an ego that makes you think your better than you are...
I have hunted buck bedding since the early 1980's and have gotten better and better at understanding bedding and bedding behavior every year I hunt and scout.
phishy
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/james.harbaugh.94

Unread postby phishy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:05 pm

dan wrote: I have hunted buck bedding since the early 1980's .....

i think you just aged yourself..... :roll: :mrgreen:
Happiness is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it, so with that happiness is a choice one can consciously make, although often challenged by what happens to us, it is a choice nonetheless.
MACHINIST

Unread postby MACHINIST » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:28 pm

What was the thing that made it all "click" for you as to this is how I should hunt?I know that there is hundreds of ways to effectively hunt big buck,some better some not.I know that this style of hunting has to fit the person doing it to get the most effectiveness out of it.I am the kind of guy that once I break the ice and see that deer then it will make it more realistic to me,from when I first started hunting I have been taught to stay out of their bedrooms,now I am doing my best to make a educated guess as to how to get in there undetected to get the beast.
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:35 pm

Rick, I am in the same boat you are in buddy. I have evolved into a aggressive mobile hunter, but beds are new to me. Good luck this weekend!
MACHINIST

Unread postby MACHINIST » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:20 am

I will need it with all this rain that's forecasted,Time to dig out the rain gear and the treebrella!!!
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:06 am

Early muzzleloader is one of my favorite hunts! So bummed I am missing it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:02 pm

MACHINIST wrote:What was the thing that made it all "click" for you as to this is how I should hunt?I know that there is hundreds of ways to effectively hunt big buck,some better some not.I know that this style of hunting has to fit the person doing it to get the most effectiveness out of it.I am the kind of guy that once I break the ice and see that deer then it will make it more realistic to me,from when I first started hunting I have been taught to stay out of their bedrooms,now I am doing my best to make a educated guess as to how to get in there undetected to get the beast.

I always noticed the deer exiting there bedding close to darkness and the farther back, the less I seen in daylight... The main clicker was a buck that I really wanted to kill, I scouted the entire area he lived and found all his bedding areas and started to see the flaws in his plan and found ways to get into these bedding areas and kill these bucks despite them not wandering around in daylight... To me it only made sense, and having success on very nice bucks (for those days) locked it in. From then on its been a continual learning path.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”