Bedding Questions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HoosierG5
500 Club

Bedding Questions

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:17 pm

1. The wind will be SW tomorrow at dawn. It switches to West and West SW by 1 PM. Should I plan to hunt a W bed or a SW bed? All are suspected so Im simply guessing.

2. Do you always approach AM sits from the top and sit above the trail or bed based on thermals?

Thanks!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

HoosierG5
500 Club

Re: Bedding Questions

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:55 am

? Ttt

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:02 am

Bucks will tend to relocate beds during the day if the wind shifts to the point the do not feel secure. Sometimes may only be several yards...sometimes they still feel secure when the shift isn't very much. Depends on the pressure in his bedding area he may feel secure during many different wind directions in the same bed.

If I were planning a hunt and going in midday or early afternoon and going in based on the wind direction, I would hunt a bedding area for the given wind at first light.

On am or pm hunts I wouldn't want to approach my stand site from the bottom in fear of bumping a buck thats already bedded.

I have questioned lower approaches on the site several times...more times than not I get the responses low land approaches are hard to pull off.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:18 am

Thx. Big help!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”