Anybody hunting next friday morning ? Oct 1st

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Re: Anybody hunting next friday morning ? Oct 1st

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:08 am

Stuart wrote:This year it is first time as a mobile hunter with the Lone Wolf and 4 Sticks and it was the best decision I have made hunting. I am only 16 years old.

My first evening hunt on Oct 1st I went into the swamp where no one every hunted before because it is to thick. Perfect for me!

I set my stand that night at a transition line where thick cover met pine trees. I saw 8 does and 1 eight point buck that was still young so I let him walk but did get great footage on the Roscoby Riser Cam!

Thanks to Dan (everyone how answered my posts)for his videos and posts because I have seen more deer in one sit then I normally do in 2 weeks!

Thanks,
Stuart

Stuart you are one quiet 16 year old :!: And well educated 8-)

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:32 am

Thanks Lou!

You did see my post about the stand and sticks with your stealth strips which helped a lot. Can't wait for next year because I can find new properties to hunt and will be filming with an HD camcorder next year.

Some people don't understand why I hunt mobile or how I have to pre-scout an area, not just show up and magically shoot a mature deer like everyone wants to.

Once I lay down some big ones people will see!
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:11 pm

Sounds like you're well on your way to become a big buck serial killer Stuart! Good luck to you this season! 8-)
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:50 am

Thanks LungBuster!
jigglestick

Unread postby jigglestick » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:45 am

I love to see the abition of young hunters.
being a truely dedicated hunter leaves little time for the mind to wander to the stupid things young folks so often get caught up in.

Stuart keep your hopes high and your excpectations higher 8-)
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:35 am

Thanks!

I really don't have time to get in trouble with whitetail hunting, homework and a part time job.

The hardest part is to get out hunting more often, and it seems like in the off-season there is so much time but once October comes around my dad is so busy and can't get to the hunting spots. But you can only do so much. :lol:

Stuart
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:32 am

I hunted Saturday morning in western Missouri....I set up on one of my buck beds atleast 1 hour before legal shooting time. The morning was very cool, but very windy and coming out of the Northeast; I found my tree within 20 yards of the trail that led right to the buck bed I found back in March.

Guess who showed up really early??? As I was putting my third Lone Wolf step on the tree, I could barely make out a deer's outline and then he/she snorthed and took off...I don't know positively if it was him but I'm pretty sure it was. The deer was alone and headed down the trail that leads right to that bed. I still am baffled why that deer was back there so early; I was thinking that the windy conditions had made him uneasy and he was heading back early for that day. Oh well...It was fun but frustrating at the same time :)
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:43 am

Don't worry deer can be unpredictable at best of times!
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:47 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I hunted Saturday morning in western Missouri....I set up on one of my buck beds atleast 1 hour before legal shooting time. The morning was very cool, but very windy and coming out of the Northeast; I found my tree within 20 yards of the trail that led right to the buck bed I found back in March.

Guess who showed up really early??? As I was putting my third Lone Wolf step on the tree, I could barely make out a deer's outline and then he/she snorthed and took off...I don't know positively if it was him but I'm pretty sure it was. The deer was alone and headed down the trail that leads right to that bed. I still am baffled why that deer was back there so early; I was thinking that the windy conditions had made him uneasy and he was heading back early for that day. Oh well...It was fun but frustrating at the same time :)

thats why dans strategy is for evenings... not many of these guys are sitting on the beds this early in the season during mornings. correct me if im wrong dan? thanks
You can't kill em on the couch
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:50 am

I still am baffled why that deer was back there so early; I was thinking that the windy conditions had made him uneasy and he was heading back early for that day.

I try and beat them with the moon phase... ( and if memory serves me right, it should of been good for saturday morning ) But really, big bucks usually get back to there beds before daylight. Thats why most of the time outside of rut I won't even attempt a morning hunt unless the moon phase or weather dictates it as a good possibility of a late arrival to the bed.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:03 am

Brandon wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I hunted Saturday morning in western Missouri....I set up on one of my buck beds atleast 1 hour before legal shooting time. The morning was very cool, but very windy and coming out of the Northeast; I found my tree within 20 yards of the trail that led right to the buck bed I found back in March.

thats why dans strategy is for evenings... not many of these guys are sitting on the beds this early in the season during mornings. correct me if im wrong dan? thanks

The moon phase was perfect for Friday and Saturday morning, the first hour of daylight was within the one hour of window of the moon transit (directly overhead)...
Cash 18

Unread postby Cash 18 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:26 am

The moon phase was perfect this last weekend but I didn't see a deer on any of my morning sits. Guess that is just the way it goes sometimes
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:35 am

I got into an area where a monster was bedding within a week prior and was set up at least an hour before daylight. I was hunting off the ground in my ghillie suit for the second time this season. About 15 minutes prior to shooting light I heard something enter the bedding area from the directions I was expecting. The wind was good so I sat tight, nothing happened until 9am when I heard some footsteps, turned to see a tree shaking so I thought a buck was coming, a couple seconds later it turned out to be a doe a 2 fawns coming out, right from where I heard the sounds before daylight. She got to within 3 yards of me before she smelled me. It was really cool being on the ground in that ghillie and having the deer come in close. She never looked at me for more than a second or 2 and kept looking around trying to figure out what she smelled, the suit worked awesome. I could have shot her multiple times but let her go, I will be back in that bedding area a couple more times before the rut, he never showed that day.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:16 am

Brandon wrote:

Yeah, this was my first morning sit of the year and i was trying to get the best of him with the moon phase. They are very unpredictable but that is why we love hunting them :)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”