Mobile in the dark?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mibowhunter91

Mobile in the dark?

Unread postby Mibowhunter91 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:20 pm

This the last few morning here in sw mi have been pretty chilly even had frost yesterday! That is starting to get me thinking of pre rut and rutting morning hunts. What I was hoping is some of you guys fill me in on how you go about your mobile sits in the morning in the dark. Is your spot already picked out from spring scouting? Or are you going in blind to a funnel you cyper scouted? Or just blind completely?

Thanks guy interested in hearing your thoughts!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

freeboro

Re: Mobile in the dark?

Unread postby freeboro » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:13 am

My last few have been done by cyber scouting. I pick the tree, mark it on my GPS and go.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:28 am

Usually I will have a tree picked out based on spring scouting, but when I'm not seeing bucks and need to change things up I will go to an area based off of aerials. I will then usually get in the general vicinity wait for first light, pick a tree and climb up.

yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:40 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Usually I will have a tree picked out based on spring scouting, but when I'm not seeing bucks and need to change things up I will go to an area based off of aerials. I will then usually get in the general vicinity wait for first light, pick a tree and climb up.

Great tip, can't say how many times I get up in dark and wish I was in another tree

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
superseal

Unread postby superseal » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:57 am

I plan to do some scouting this Monday & Tuesday during the forecasted rain & windy conditions. I will mark & prep some trees for morning hunts.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:58 am

during the pre/rut I hunt western Wisconsin hill country.....personally I hate setting up in the dark its just to dangerous to me, a lot can go wrong when you cant see.... bucks really don't start cursing my areas until mid morning and on, because of the thermals witch start to take place around 9 am or sooner depending on the lay of the land. sometimes ill sleep in until 7am. let it get light and move in right before the thermal switch. yea im possibly missing out on a few stragglers right at day break. but from hunting hill country for 14years I have learned that the bigger mature bucks bed down before day light and get up mid morning and start crushing. I am very mobile, I like to sit a fresh sit every hunt. WHEN I go in before day break I go to spots that I have already spring scouted. I don't like going into an area I have never seen before in the dark.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:29 am

Just did it today as a matter of fact. I am not a going in the morning completely blind guy. My morning spots are always as safe as I can make them for me to get into and out of and do as little "damage" as I can. I understand that morning hunting isn't ideal but I gotta go when I can or not go at all.

This morning I had a tree that I remembered from years past. We went it, I set 5 sticks and and alpha for the lady and then I picked a tree and climbed with the hand climber.......she had the bow drawn but the little sucker turned on her at the wrong moment!! foiled again.....but she is having fun and I like seeing her excited. My time will come when it gets cold.
Mibowhunter91

Unread postby Mibowhunter91 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:30 am

That's what I was thinking I'd have a spot picked out and maybe wait until grey light or so to find the tree I want

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:39 pm

I do it quite a bit each year. I would rather go in completely blind to a tree or area I feel confident in, than go into a familiar area that I am not feeling.

But when it backfires, it sucks.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:46 pm

Good post. I had one of my best sits going into an area blind, this was before the beast, my 1st year bow bunting. I drive around the area, had an idea from cyber scouting and from what a Buddy told me, I had one buck that came by right before light, could see horns, had two smaller Bucks mid morning, then a giant. Wish I knew what i knew now, along with shooting out to 40 yds. Anyway, I do both, some early morning during the rut, along with all day sits.

Mibowhunter91

Unread postby Mibowhunter91 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:06 am

Thanks guys I'm planning on cyper scouting and using info from this spring and last year then instead of shining my light up in the trees I'll wait until grey light to set up unless it's a few of the already picked out trees

Thanks guys I was just curious how every1 else did it

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:15 am

GPS coordinates is probably the way to go. I have my spots picked out from the spring or whenever I find them...I put one or two thumbtacks in the tree about 8' up, that way I know I have the right tree. I am not one of those that lays down thumbtack trails through the woods that make it look like christmas though :D
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:37 am

I always end up bumping non target deer if I go in any sooner than grey light it seems like. I guess I'd prefer going in when I bump less deer than getting there early and bumping deer or being a few yards out of position. Bighunts post was pretty much soot on!

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:46 am

I generally only try and hunt in trees that I have hunted out of before so I know what I am getting myself into, far too many variables to going in blind and in the dark. Otherwise getting in the woods early but not setting up until there is some daylight is a good option as well.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:54 am

Those thumbtacks can be near the base of a tree so your light stays aimed down. My friend has his eye level and I
would say something but won't since it would seem rude.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”