7.5 yr old buck I chased and his shed... Ol' no testies

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Terry
500 Club

Re: 7.5 yr old buck I chased and his shed... Ol' no testies

Unread postby Terry » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:15 am

Nuts man, I wish you would have gotten him :mrgreen:

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:26 am

Old buck, how long ago did this happen? When you say you had him figured out, elaborate a bit. Bedding, food source?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:53 am

Wish you could have got him buddy....but you did have the pleasure hunting him, that's just as good in my book.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:59 am

Holy balls! :lol:
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
tcop7
500 Club

Unread postby tcop7 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:36 pm

Now that's some mass!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:22 pm

LOVE the funky rack!
-Rick
PeteJ

Unread postby PeteJ » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:50 pm

Love that mass!
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:42 am

That's the kind of buck I'm looking for right there. Awesome !
BuckHunter1988

Unread postby BuckHunter1988 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:27 am

Wow lance Sry to hear that he's a heck of a cool deer....

[ Post made via Android ] Image
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:49 pm

Wow! I bet it was fun chasing him though.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
Beartown18
500 Club

Unread postby Beartown18 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:39 am

8-)
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:45 am

8-)
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:16 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:It's a cross breed = Deeralop :mrgreen:

Heck of a deer to bad he doesn't have an owner named DS ;)

I would have to agree with you Ed! :D

kenn1320 wrote:Old buck, how long ago did this happen? When you say you had him figured out, elaborate a bit. Bedding, food source?

This was over 25 years ago (gawd I'm getting OLD!). He was bedding in a thick, brushy, swampy creek bottom with small back water ponds coming off the creek. He was set up so he could easily escape via the creek or shallow mucky ponds and be right back into thick brush. There was plenty of browse in the bedding area and lots of oaks 100 yards away. He only bedded there part of the time because other hunters were bumping him out of the area. He was a very reclusive buck and wouldn't come out of his bedroom until after it was completely dark unless he went to the north where I couldn't go, but even then I'm not sure if he was coming out during shooting light. All of his daylight activity seemed to be within a 40 yard area which usually had about 80 shredded rubs within it. It was very difficult to hunt him in this spot due to access because he could either hear me or see me depending on how I tried to get in and he would leave going into the wind which usually came from the N or NW. He only bedded there until the hunting pressure started and then he wouldn't come back until the leaves were off the trees when he could see anybody coming down the 30' hill that had a two track at the top. Then someone (or myself) would bump him at some point and he would leave again. I was still learning about hunting them close to their bed back then and I often got too close. When he was getting pushed out I couldn't find where he was going to. He would disappear for extended periods of time. I knew he had to have at least one or two more primary bedding area's but I could never find them. Then that third year he started showing up during broad daylight all over the place between 10am & 2pm. Lots of people were seeing him and I was starting to piece things together through other peoples sightings. I didn't like that he was showing himself, but it did help me figure out where another primary bedding area was that he was using and how he was getting there. When I thought about the terrain, sightings and hunters in the area it suddenly hit me that he was most likely using a bedding area I hadn't hunted in a few years over by my uncles place. This area dose not have any farmland. It's all wooded with only the occasional small field and I was still learning how far bucks would travel so it never occured to me that he would have another bedding area a full two miles away! lol :doh: This bedding area is so thick it is imposible to penetrate without being heard and you can't see a deer more than about 10-15 yards. So I called my uncle and asked him to go check for some big tracks about 500 yards from his house. I explained exactly where to look and he asked me how big of tracks he should be looking for. I said "just look for huge tracks, trust me, you will know when you see them". A little while later he called back really excited and said the tracks were right where I said (going into the bedding area) and they were HUGE! I asked what the tracks looked like and then calmly said that's him. He said they were by far the biggest tracks he had ever seen. Considerably bigger than any tracks, including running tracks, that he had ever seen and he kept trying to get me to comprehend the size as if I wasn't understanding just how big they were, but I knew. :lol: Anyway, now I just had to verify where I thought he was traveling and when. I went where I thought he was crossing a dirt road and his tracks were right where I expected, but what I didn't expect was that he was crossing the road between 10am & 11am every day on weekdays, but only during stable weather conditions. He was very pattern-able that year for some reason. By this point I had no doubt I would get a crack at him, but like a fool I felt I had to go "up north" for the gun opener. I needed a ride and my step dad was going a few days early so I either had to wait to hunt this buck or miss the gun opener up north. I didn't have to go. It was a choice and a dumb one at that. :doh:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”