somethings i learned tonight

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

phishy
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/james.harbaugh.94

somethings i learned tonight

Unread postby phishy » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:55 pm

trust your first instinct.....I went next to a bedding area, perfect cross wind, perfect everything, i'm looking for venison, horns are a bonus.

i crept in stealthy (30 minute creep in tall canary grass), got to near my destination, now its decision time which tree? i spied three likely candidates, first too thin, second looks but good not much cover,third too close to the bedding edge, they might be in that grass just outside the brush... chose tree two...contemplated for 10 minutes trying to figure the wind and where i expect the deer to come out and where they are going to go...tree # 2

tip toes over, set up quietly, reached 15' and turned around to sit, looked at the trail below me and my gut told me i was too close, so i climbed down and set up in a tree i didn't contemplate earlier. but i felt better of it. looked at the time 4pm, i started this at 230PM, but i was quiet.

at 5 pm i saw a deer stand up in that grass i was worried bout, it layed back down...it was cross wind of me...feeling good.... 530Pm i see an ear, then a nose and a head, deer on the move. a big ole horse headed doe, then a fawn, then another adult doe, then more fawns, i counted at least 6 deer, three adults and three fawns, might have been another fawn, i was watching that old doe most of the time.

they cam out rather quickly...within shooting distance of tree #2 ..the one i moved out of, i would have had a clear shot at any one of them..... :violin:

but they turned at me some more, then turned cross wind again, out into the open canary grass. this was the last thing i excepted, they were feeding on the canary grass, i anticipated they would move by me upwind through the woods and make there way to an ag field for the evening, but no they went crosswind and started coming at me, going to cross downwind of me. then something happened to that lead doe.

she was down wind of where I had climbed the tree and vacated, she winded something, but didn't freak out, but moved cautiously... the gig was up, she never crossed my path but smelled where i once was from a distance, she moved slowly, flicking tail but seemed nervous, never with in range. other deer were frolicking about, but this old doe was onto me. she fed sniffing the air like something was wrong, but my wind was passing in front of her, one point she was within range, but i didn't have a shot, branches blocked me, then she quartered away,she was definitely smelling where i was but not where i was currently sitting, she kept feeding, then it happened....swirl....i felt it on my neck..wrong direction... I knew it right away at

stiff legs......snorts and 2 seconds later the whole clan was gone. it was 610PM, so i sat until dark contemplating what had happened. she smelled me and kept creeping until she got good wind, she knew something was wrong and didn't give up until she confirmed it.

lessons:

I should have trusted my first instinct

don't move back downwind to reset, you will leave a scent that can be detected even on the wind, the young deer didn't take notice, but the old doe did, she knew, so would a mature buck

Happiness is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it, so with that happiness is a choice one can consciously make, although often challenged by what happens to us, it is a choice nonetheless.
Zap

Re: somethings i learned tonight

Unread postby Zap » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:04 pm

Exactly....

Saw deer, learned some stuff.......good hunt!
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:47 pm

Zap wrote:Exactly....

Saw deer, learned some stuff.......good hunt!

x2
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:04 pm

8-)
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:01 am

Net!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
tcop7
500 Club

Unread postby tcop7 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:15 pm

Perfect time for one of my favorite quotes, "experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:27 pm

Thanks for sharing. Now we have all learned something :D

chris
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:53 pm

Liberty-Hunt wrote:Net!

x2, Net
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:53 pm

ozzz wrote:
Liberty-Hunt wrote:Net!

x2, Net

x3, net! :lol: ;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:10 am

I pace back and forth a lot trying to find the perfect tree. I rarely find it and know darn well I spok deer by doing this. I saw a buck 2 yrs ago that came up behind me . It freaked out when it crossed my path and was gone in 10 seconds. If I would have known what tree I was going to stand in I think I would have faired much better. It is my biggest problem, with my climber.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:50 am

ihookem wrote:I pace back and forth a lot trying to find the perfect tree. I rarely find it and know darn well I spok deer by doing this. I saw a buck 2 yrs ago that came up behind me . It freaked out when it crossed my path and was gone in 10 seconds. If I would have known what tree I was going to stand in I think I would have faired much better. It is my biggest problem, with my climber.

Have you tried a hang on and sticks??

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
phishy
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/james.harbaugh.94

Unread postby phishy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:16 am

PLB wrote:
ihookem wrote:I pace back and forth a lot trying to find the perfect tree. I rarely find it and know darn well I spok deer by doing this. I saw a buck 2 yrs ago that came up behind me . It freaked out when it crossed my path and was gone in 10 seconds. If I would have known what tree I was going to stand in I think I would have faired much better. It is my biggest problem, with my climber.

Have you tried a hang on and sticks??

i know i'm going to make the switch to sticks......my hunting area changed from large blocks of woods to small isolated parcels with sparse tree cover, trees in these areas are not straight making it difficult to settle into a spot.

i used to do the pacing thing as well, i learned to start seeking trees when i approach my destination, then stand still for a few minutes observing and soaking it in, amazing what you see when you stop walking and have that little conversation in your head, .....now i will avoid back tracking as well
Happiness is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it, so with that happiness is a choice one can consciously make, although often challenged by what happens to us, it is a choice nonetheless.
Beartown18
500 Club

Unread postby Beartown18 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:31 am

8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”