smoking scent??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolfie729
500 Club

smoking scent??

Unread postby wolfie729 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:26 pm

Ok guys I am a smoker and I shower before every hunt with scent free soap and shampoo and dont smoke until after im changed and back in the truck after a hunt. Do you think me being a smoker that I still smell to deer?

Earn what’s never given.
Jackson Marsh

Re: smoking scent??

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:31 pm

Smoke or no smoke you stink.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:31 pm

To a deer.

C&T Archery
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ctarchery?ref=hl

Unread postby C&T Archery » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:33 pm

Yes. The scent is in the seats of your truck, will come through your pores when sweating waliking in etc.... it might lessen it a bit, but a nonsmoker will be able to stI'll tell, so will a deer. But if you are doing beast style hunting, it shouldn't matter. My brother in law used to smoke cherry cigars and I could smell him as a non smoker.

http://www.ctarchery.com
email: sales@ctarchery.com

[glow=red]Farmers Insurance -- Chad Ratzburg Agency
FOR A FREE LOOK AT YOUR AUTO, HOME, ATV, BOAT, LIFE OR BUSINESS INSURANCE NEEDS. PM ME OR EMAIL ME
Email: cratzburg@farmersagent.com
[/glow]
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:58 pm

If your target buck is upwind, he won't smell you regardless. The molecules that float off of your body and that you exhale will be carried downwind. We all smell like sudden death to a deer who has had a near miss with a human. Fawns don't know better. Old bucks know better.

Use milkweed to know where your scent flies. I happen to keep my milkweed in a McDommalls bag. (I don't want to get sued!) It floats next to seven jalapeno cheddar onion McDommellburgers, simply to stink up my truck and to remind me that NOTHING matters if you mess up the wind. If your wind is right, scent does not matter. Except for where you walk. You need to be careful there.

Never trust Tinks. It's-tinks.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:51 pm

Taking a 'scent free' shower before a hunt and jumping into a vehicle where you puff on cigarettes regularly is kinda defeating the purpose of trying to be scent free IMO.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:47 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:Taking a 'scent free' shower before a hunt and jumping into a vehicle where you puff on cigarettes regularly is kinda defeating the purpose of trying to be scent free IMO.

It may not be a ton different than jumping into a vehicles seat that you sit in every day, since they are both saturated with human odors

Make It Happen
phishy
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/james.harbaugh.94

Unread postby phishy » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:19 pm

i've shot a doe hunting on the ground at less than 30 yrds with a gun and a cigarette in my mouth while standing only a few feet from a big dump i just put down (barely got my pants up the gun was leaning on the tree as i was trying to get out a cigarette)...the deer came in upwind of me.

but i wouldn't recommend smoking while hunting, white puufs can be seen a long ways away
Happiness is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it, so with that happiness is a choice one can consciously make, although often challenged by what happens to us, it is a choice nonetheless.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:06 am

It makes no differance at all IMHO

Deer are not afraid of ciggarettes... And, if they get down wind in your scent stream, they will smell you no matter what.
Scent control is making sure the buck don't get down wind.
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:11 am

×2 on what dan said..just try and play the wind.

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:55 am

Swampbuck wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:Taking a 'scent free' shower before a hunt and jumping into a vehicle where you puff on cigarettes regularly is kinda defeating the purpose of trying to be scent free IMO.

It may not be a ton different than jumping into a vehicles seat that you sit in every day, since they are both saturated with human odors

I agree.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:04 am

Yea I would say being a smoker would be a good reason to not even bother with scent reduction measures. The scent of body odor at close range is obvious to a deer, the smell of cigarette smoke is many times stronger so your scent footprint will be that much bigger.

Don't let them get down wind and stay mobile because your ground scent will linger all that much longer as a result. I don't buy the idea deer ignore cigarette smoke smell...its very distinctive from other natural smoke smells to even a human nose and is always associated with a human holding the cigarette. Deer have know that too.
Last edited by JoeRE on Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:05 am

double post sorry :D
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:21 am

Old uncle lou smoked like a chimney . He shot a buck every year , even got half a dozen with a recurve. He always had a smoke in his mouth. Dud was lucky though too.... and not the luck that meets preperation. On the last day of the season in Shawano co. ,,, he decides to take a walk ,,, just a walk. He looks behind him and sees a buck. Raising his 8mm mouser, the buck stops right when he fires..... Pull the trigger and CLICK!!! He and the buck have a good 5 second stare down,, he was going to eject the back ammo after the buck walks on after a minute or two. Still having the sights on the bucks chest after 5 seconds or so, ,,, suddenly BOOM!! the buck drops. and the tag gets filled on the last hour of the season. I don't think cigs hurt yout hunt but where I hunt deer don't smell it very often at all. In some areas a deer may have had a bad experience with a hunter at the same time smelling smoke. Deer smell smoke when lightening hits a tree. I even smelled it already. Cig smoke smells different but it is still just smoke. Much like urine. Don;t think they know the difference between human urine and bear. When it comes to deer hunting I have been wrong more times than not however.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:27 am

I would not worry about the smoke smell . Deer are individuals and will react differently to any situation. Can also depend on their mood , doe in estrous or bucks in rut will many times let their guard down . For no apparent reason , I've seen the same deer one day act nervous on high alert and the next day calm and curious . I do not smoke , But I do use hickory smoke for my "scent control". While I always take the wind and thermals into consideration , you can never completely predict them or a deers movement . For the times when a deer does get down wind is why I use the smoke . In my experience , I've had very few negative reactions from deer. I don't believe you can beat a deers nose but I think this my best bet to confuse it long enough to make a kill shot . Not a gimmick or pixie dust . Just a tool to help apply the smoke , similar to a bee smoker . This is the site .... scentsmoker.com

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”