White and Red Oaks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
James
500 Club

Re: White and Red Oaks

Unread postby James » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:39 am

Good point Grud, I also have swamp white oaks near me and the deer do love them! Burr Oak is another common one that you see.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:46 am

GloryDaysDesign wrote:Grud,
Could you recommend that book? Or does anyone have any links to past discussions or book recommendations? Great thread?

Here's a good read
http://www.fs.fed.us/foresthealth/techn ... dguide.pdf

BCam

Unread postby BCam » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:04 am

The reds and blacks in my yard have been raining acorns for 3 years in a row. The whites and burr oak have hardly any at all for the 2nd year in a row. Thats been consistent in my hunting areas too. I haven't noticed any kind of consistent cycle around here.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
superseal

Unread postby superseal » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:46 am

Here's some good info about acorns and how they relate to deer hunting...

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/armchair_biologist/acorns/acorns.html
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:31 am

hunted oaks this morning.....they were raining and it was HOT!! :dance:
Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:49 am

xpauliber wrote:
wolfie729 wrote:a guy told me that white oaks only produce acorns every other year and reds produce every year is this true???

I've heard this too and have been trying to pay attention over the years to see if it's true or not. It's hard to determine because there are usually multiple oaks in an area and their acorn cycles could be in alternate years so theoretically, there should be acorns there every year.

But I never found an area that produces acorns every single year....it's almost like feast or famine around here.

Nope. Whites every year and reds every other. That's not to say the tree will pollinate every year or that the reds only bloom every other year.they bloom yearly but the acorn itself takes two years on reds.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
GloryDaysDesign
Facebook: twitter: @leestrohe

Unread postby GloryDaysDesign » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:56 am

So how about recognizing oaks from afar? Say we are scouting while walking into our hunt for the night, what are some characteristics to look for so I would instantly walk in that direction? (Considering you can't see the leaf shape from that distance)

GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:16 am

I picked up a field guide to tree identification at Barnes and Nobles years ago. There is also a ton of free info and images on Google. In southern Indiana there are areas that more variety of trees than almost anywhere. There are lot of trees that have fruit deer like, persimmons, beech nut, white oaks, paw paw trees, lots of old apple, pear, peach trees on old homesteads in the national forest. Cherry, crabapple, and probably a bunch I am not remembering right now. Finding these close to bedding is key and checking the ground in late winter early spring can let you know if they had fruit last season typically has remains or seeds on the ground. Never know what you will come across!

hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:07 pm

GloryDaysDesign wrote:So how about recognizing oaks from afar? Say we are scouting while walking into our hunt for the night, what are some characteristics to look for so I would instantly walk in that direction? (Considering you can't see the leaf shape from that distance)

I look at the tree trunks..Red Oak bark and trunk look almost black from a distance..dark color anyway. White Oaks are light grey color and some..especially real big ones will have flaky bark..but so does Shaggy Bark Hickory trees and Pecan trees.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:57 pm

hoyt wrote:
GloryDaysDesign wrote:So how about recognizing oaks from afar? Say we are scouting while walking into our hunt for the night, what are some characteristics to look for so I would instantly walk in that direction? (Considering you can't see the leaf shape from that distance)

I look at the tree trunks..Red Oak bark and trunk look almost black from a distance..dark color anyway. White Oaks are light grey color and some..especially real big ones will have flaky bark..but so does Shaggy Bark Hickory trees and Pecan trees.

Look at the leaves with your binocs from distance, you should be able to spot lobed leaves or pointy.

Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:39 pm

James, are you still seeing any acorns up that way? I havent seen anything but red oaks and a few pins since season started. Every white and burr that Ive come across has been clean underneath. As a matter of fact, opening day, I sat close to some bur oaks that were rainings 3 weeks before, and not an acorn to be seen come Sept 13.

Same thing today where I was at. Nothing under the oaks I went by.

This is my first year in MN. I'm used to hunting in NC where the acorns are currently falling from reports Im getting from back home. I was surprised to see the oaks and burs every where I went dropped out by opening day.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:29 pm

I read somewhere that in Western MN we actually do not have any White Oaks. But we have the Swamp White Oaks.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:23 am

There is a pretty good app out called Vtree. You can search trees by name or you can enter your location and it will filter down to trees that are found in your area.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
GloryDaysDesign
Facebook: twitter: @leestrohe

Unread postby GloryDaysDesign » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:13 am

Here are two oak trees on the very small patch of land I can hunt in rural Pennsylvania. I could not find any White Oaks, atleast I do not think I could. I take it that the pictures below are red oaks?

First Tree & Acorn/Leaf

Second Tree & Acorn/Leaf

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:25 am

Yup red oaks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”