Working on becoming a Mobile Hunter

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

C&T Archery
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ctarchery?ref=hl

Working on becoming a Mobile Hunter

Unread postby C&T Archery » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:23 am

I have been a Beast member for about 2 years now. I give a lot respect for how Dan and a lot of you guys hunt, but I can honestly say I haven't made the switch to being mobile yet. I made this decision in January that it's how I want to hunt moving forward, but I have a lot of work to do. I will be ordering my XOP stand and sticks hear soon, but I doubt I will use them this year, but looking at becoming a dealer for them out my shop.

So Why haven't I made the switch? Well after college football I got LAZY. Yep I can admit it, but after high school and college of lifting and running everyday. I was ready to be done with it. It was easy to give up, because I tore my left shoulder up and my knees and ankles are not not shot, but hurt. Well fast forward to 20 years and I saw myself at 340 pounds and way out of shape. In January I decided I wanted to be mobile, so back to working out at the age of 43 to lose weight and get in shape. I know these stands have a 350 pound weight limit, but I don't drive my truck on the red line 24/7 and I don't like to max my stands out either :)

Today I'm at 296 pounds and my goal is to be down to my football weight which is 235 pounds. I think as I get closer to that weight I will feel more comfortable being "mobile".

So that's my reason I'm not a mobile hunter yet, what is yours?

http://www.ctarchery.com
email: sales@ctarchery.com

[glow=red]Farmers Insurance -- Chad Ratzburg Agency
FOR A FREE LOOK AT YOUR AUTO, HOME, ATV, BOAT, LIFE OR BUSINESS INSURANCE NEEDS. PM ME OR EMAIL ME
Email: cratzburg@farmersagent.com
[/glow]
christian1
500 Club

Re: Working on becoming a Mobile Hunter

Unread postby christian1 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:55 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I am working on it myself. I totally agree it is easy to be lazy and being mobile is hard work. I was just in my garage messing with my stands and trying to organize things in an easy and mobile package.

chris
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:04 am

When you set goals and work hard to achieve them, you appreciate the success that much more. 8-)
GloryDaysDesign
Facebook: twitter: @leestrohe

Unread postby GloryDaysDesign » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:55 am

I am becoming a mobile hunter myself, but I have tried multiple stand solutions to accomplish this. I just found that I was bad at packing up my LW Alpha II, as well as transferring the stand to the tree once on my third stick. It was taking me like 30 minutes to get the stand in a tree. So I finally decided to buy a Wide Sit and Climb (XOP Punisher). I seem to be able to get up in a tree much quicker while using much less energy. Of course, I did not try the EZ Hang hook method and this seems like a solution that would help me out. Even if it's the hybrid EZ hook/Batwing method that some other Beast members have mentioned. (put a loop on batwing and just hang it on EZ hang hook so you can use both arms when attaching straps around tree). I would say 95% of HB members love the stick and Alpha method. Just not my cup of tea, but I will keep practicing. Good Luck man and keep hammering.
Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:43 am

Great job!, Keep at it! You'll find yourself wanting to be more active and healthier as the weight drops! I know you have to feel 100x better.

I myself stayed a fairly muscular 230ish through HS. College saw me add some weight. I stayed 275 after college working for a while in delineating (mapping) wetlands. I could run an 8min mile even at 275. Along came marriage and a job switch which put me from burning those 4k calories I was talk g in each day to being sedentary.... and boom, ballooned up to 365lb at my heaviest.

Realized I was never going to lose the weight without help, and ended up having weight loss surgery. Gastric Sleeve to be exact. Got divorced (irrelevant but wife had surgery first, lost weight and cheated on me), ended up meeting a girl from here in MN as a result of a surgery specific forum. Moved up here and took a job with a company I love and in the urban forestry field (back ground). The girl continues to be absolutely amazing (and hot ;), but that's my opinion), and as of my doctors visit for an insurance wellness check Monday, I'm 6'1 180lbs and everything is in great health. Doctor said I was in prime health and only needed to maintain. Surgery wasn't the cure but merely a tool. I still have to work at it.

Now, my story wasn't to steal your thunder or hijack, but to show you that it's possible to go from mid 300s to healthy and to.encourage you along your way. My biggest complain is starting new with hunting clothes, getting cold when it dips below 70°(I'm in MN, I'm going to die from exposure), and can NOT get comfy in a stand. In had no but before but now it's just plain misery on my rear.

Great job on the weight loss again. My situation is obviously different than yours, but I have basic nutrition pretty well pegged. If you have any questions or just struggle some times feel free to PM me and vent.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
C&T Archery
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ctarchery?ref=hl

Unread postby C&T Archery » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:29 am

Thanks everyone. It's hard but I will get there. I guess after football I lost "my focus", but after being introduced to the Beast, I have regained focus and this is my new goal. When I set goals I meet them, even if it takes a while to achieve. I just have to get to the point where I feel comfortable climbing trees, with my bad shoulder. I think once I get around the 250 pound mark I will feel okay being able to support the weight with my left shoulder. I will get it done, but until that time, I will still be here learning from all the guys getting it done :)
http://www.ctarchery.com
email: sales@ctarchery.com

[glow=red]Farmers Insurance -- Chad Ratzburg Agency
FOR A FREE LOOK AT YOUR AUTO, HOME, ATV, BOAT, LIFE OR BUSINESS INSURANCE NEEDS. PM ME OR EMAIL ME
Email: cratzburg@farmersagent.com
[/glow]
phishy
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/james.harbaugh.94

Unread postby phishy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:14 am

C&T Archery wrote:Thanks everyone. It's hard but I will get there. I guess after football I lost "my focus", but after being introduced to the Beast, I have regained focus and this is my new goal. When I set goals I meet them, even if it takes a while to achieve. I just have to get to the point where I feel comfortable climbing trees, with my bad shoulder. I think once I get around the 250 pound mark I will feel okay being able to support the weight with my left shoulder. I will get it done, but until that time, I will still be here learning from all the guys getting it done :)

"In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit." Albert Schweitzer

I can relate.....
Happiness is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it, so with that happiness is a choice one can consciously make, although often challenged by what happens to us, it is a choice nonetheless.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:39 am

Good job CT and congrats on the loss so far. You sound like you have the desire and drive to get to your goal. Keep up the good work and stay focused!
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:19 pm

I been doing the mobile thing for about 3 years now. Having light weight gear is essential. Thank God for Lone Wolf ;) Being mobile makes my hunting seasons more fun. Problem is I sometimes can never decide which public property to hunt. So many possibilities go along with it. Looks like you are making good strides on improving your health. Stick with it.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”