What causes wind and changes in Wind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

What causes wind and changes in Wind

Unread postby Brad » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:13 am

We all know how important the wind is for hunting big bucks, but what actually causes wind? What causes it to switch directions 180 degrees in a matter of hours? I want to know more about the wind other than just what scout look says.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: What causes wind and changes in Wind

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:17 am

Barometric pressure unless we are talking thermals. You can figure out the wind direction by examining an isobar map...it reads like a topo in many respects.

JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:34 am

Generally, wind is the result of gases (air) moving from high pressure weather cells to low pressure weather cells.
"In the deed, the glory"
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:36 am

If you are talking 180 degree wind change, Usually strong weather systems such as a strong cold front out of the northwest, or even a strong warm front out of the south will switch the wind around quick. That can also mean drastic change in temperature and weather conditions. Low pressure and high pressure systems usually bring those variable winds around their center of motion. Any weather front can mean change in wind. I use the National Weather Service website to check those type of things. All those generic weather sites and apps never forecast their own weather or record weather data. They are using much of the data straight from NOAA and the National Weather Service and 'making it their own'.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:28 am

in "Mapping Trophy Bucks", Brad Herndon talks about pressure systems. high pressure and low pressure. low pressure systems turn counter clockwise, high pressure turn clockwise. so when you wonder why the air does a 180, it's because the rotation of the pressure system. you can use it to your advantage on where to sit if you know a pressure system is coming and what kind of pressure system. as it passes, the air will change direction until it has passed completely by.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:55 am

Here is an example I did up that Brian was talking about.

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:05 am

Think of low pressure as a bath tub drain, or flushing toilet. In the northern hemisphere low pressure spins counter clockwise. The closer you get to the center of any low pressure, the more tighter the gradient becomes. The further out, the less gradient, and you get more a pronounce prevailing motion. Ideally, I wonder if the closer you are to a low pressure system, the more variation in wind directions you will get (swirling winds)? The more distant you are you have a better chances of taking advantage of a prevailing wind until the system moves away? :think:
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:47 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Here is an example I did up that Brian was talking about.

Thats a great representation. Nice job on the diagram.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:46 am

Funny thing you mention that, I was reading that very book on the page with his pressure system diagram and it got me wondering more about it. Great minds think alike! I LOVE that book!
Bowhunting Brian wrote:in "Mapping Trophy Bucks", Brad Herndon talks about pressure systems. high pressure and low pressure. low pressure systems turn counter clockwise, high pressure turn clockwise. so when you wonder why the air does a 180, it's because the rotation of the pressure system. you can use it to your advantage on where to sit if you know a pressure system is coming and what kind of pressure system. as it passes, the air will change direction until it has passed completely by.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”