Bucks sprinting from cover out into the open question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MN Slick

Bucks sprinting from cover out into the open question

Unread postby MN Slick » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:54 am

I recently pulled a cam I had on the edge of a brushy woodlot that was pointing into a large alfalfa field that gets a ton of usage and couldn’t help but notice the number of deer, especially bucks that would literally run from the cover into the open alfalfa during daylight hours. Bucks of all ages up to at least 4 were running into the open. I checked wind direction history on those days and found no correlation, they sprinted on all wind directions. In almost all cases there were deer already feeding in the field when the bucks put on their track shoes.

I saw a post from PredatorTC in the live from the stand thread where 2 bucks he’s been watching do the same thing. I’m assuming they feel more comfortable in the wide open but it seems counter intuitive to many things you read. Anyone else notice this trend? Is it fairly common?

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Re: Bucks sprinting from cover out into the open question

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:04 am

I just started a thread about a botched Ohio hunt in wide open country. The buck I had an encounter did this exact thing. He rose from his bed and ran out through the open ground and towards a hedgerow for traveling.
jboswell
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.boswell.12

Unread postby jboswell » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:19 am

I see this a ton, they sprint the first 50-80 yards out into the field. Seems like they either prefer the cover of the bed area or a wide open field where they can see everything... makes sense I guess
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:23 am

Your deer must have cable/satellite TV, as they have been watching too many of the Lakosky, Drury, etc...shows, and have seen how many of their kind have been killed on the edges of fields. So, after countless seasons of episodes, they have been conditioned to stay away from the edges, as that's where the hunters are. My theory, sticking to it. :whistle:
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:27 am

Daytime and bright sun....deer have difficulty seeing.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:58 am

If you really want to see deer run.....watch them move between areas of timber over open ground when its sunny and there is snow on the ground....big groups flat out get with it and run across the open areas.

It works well if you are set up in the timber that they are running too..... :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”