My Cornfield Corridor Hunt From Last Night

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jboswell
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.boswell.12

My Cornfield Corridor Hunt From Last Night

Unread postby jboswell » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:11 am

Now that our youth season is wrapped up I can get out a few times a week for some hang and hunts after work.

Below is a pic showing my hunt on a cornfield corridor last night. It was a success from the standpoint that I saw the buck that was using the bed I was hunting but, just wasn't the right buck... The buck in the bed was a 125" 3 year old 10pt, I was hoping for a bigger / older one :mrgreen: I also saw a 2 year old 6pt and about a dozen does but with the long drag through the corn back to the truck I wasn't about to stick a doe in there.

This is a typical hunt for me this time of year. I thought I would share with the group for discussion / comment / critique on my strategy.

cdeam

Re: My Cornfield Corridor Hunt From Last Night

Unread postby cdeam » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:21 am

I like it. How far off the east of the woods on the fence row are you?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
jboswell

Unread postby jboswell » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:28 am

cdeam wrote:I like it. How far off the east of the woods on the fence row are you?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

50 yards or so, my chosen tree was approximately 100 yards from his bed (backed up in a dead fall / multi-flower rose bush). I had to climb the east side of the tree to keep him from seeing me as I hung the stand, his bed was such that he could watch the open field to the east.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:31 am

What happens when they cut the corn? How does if affect the deer past you stand in years past.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
jboswell

Unread postby jboswell » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:38 am

Beauford wrote:What happens when they cut the corn? How does if affect the deer past you stand in years past.

The first week after it is cut is usually good, it can be great if it is one of the first fields in the area to be cut, but the corridors aren't so good after the corn comes down. Once the corn is cut I will move into the draws and hunt as close to bedding as I can. Usually they (bucks I am after) don't hang around on the edges... they get up from bed, mill around for a bit then leave the cover quickly to enter the safety of the open field.

I need to whack a couple does off this farm so I will probably do a field edge hunt or two once the corn is picked and I see what the preferred trails are for the groups.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:11 am

What land features causes the bucks to come out of the corn in front of your stand and not 100 yards past your stand? Also with taking a couple of does out - the pressure doesn't affect the bucks bed at all.

jboswell

Unread postby jboswell » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:13 am

Beauford wrote:What land features causes the bucks to come out of the corn in front of your stand and not 100 yards past your stand? Also with taking a couple of does out - the pressure doesn't affect the bucks bed at all.

There is a low spot in the relatively flat field that they seem to follow by the tree I hung my stand in.

Taking the does out probably will pressure the bucks somewhat but I will do that after the corn is cut and I can drive my pickup right to the downed deer. If I can get that done during or shortly after harvest my thought is that the other deer will assume my intrusion as a normal harvest activity. It typically takes the farmer 3 days or so to pick this field (quite a large area).

I need to keep up my doe harvest to keep in good graces with the landowner (and the herd could use some thinning too).

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”