First beast style hunt + going in blind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

freeboro

First beast style hunt + going in blind

Unread postby freeboro » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:42 am

Saturday was our archery opener. Based on some fresh intel I got, plus a lack of time to hunt because of family obligations, I chose a place I'd never set foot in before for a few hour morning sit.

I've attached a photo below, I'd include a topo but it's so flat there that there are only about 3 lines on the map. Based on that, I assumed (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the bedding (With the SW wind we had) would be on the NE edge of the cover, likely looking out into the open? I placed my stand where I did as it took advantage of 2 different transition lines and I felt was between 2 good bedding areas. Around that pond is head high or taller grass and lots of brush that stretches to the east for another couple hundred yards.

The green line terminates where I parked my truck and the arrows show my direction of travel. I chose to go out via the woods to scout that edge a bit and keep out of human sight but once I ran into that next thicket I bounced out into the chest deep grass. Then once I ran into the doe (more on her later), I bounced out further, got alongside that building and scooted to my truck.

The pink dots are doe(?) beds I found walking out and I also stumbled on a small doe there. She saw me but the grass / brush was high enough that she could only see my head and couldn't get my wind so after a couple of minutes she simply wandered into the woods edge.

Red dot is my stand.

Blue lines show transition lines and I found that between the blue lines was also a very small ridge. I figured in that terrain (otherwise flat), that was noteworthy. Once I reached the pond, I found an old skidder trail that I followed in to my stand and that continued on past it. I thought 2 transition lines + the bedding areas + the ridge + the skidder trail = a good stand location. That said, the only fresh tracks I found where near the bedding area to my north, just west of the doe beds.

I saw nothing other then that small doe but was pretty confident that I got in undetected and hunted that small piece the right way? I'm just beginning (unfortunately) to consider entry and exit routes. The next time I get the same wind, I'm thinking of setting up near the thicket next to the doe bedding?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: First beast style hunt + going in blind

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:45 pm

I would expect some buck bedding behind the doe bedding at those transitions, but you might want to save that spot for closer to rut. I would break the property into 10 acre sections and hunt what looks best in each section one at a time till I got a bead on a buck. Also, check out that isolated woodlot east of where you hunted on the other side of the pond...
freeboro

Unread postby freeboro » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:02 am

Thanks Dan!

I had noticed that isolated stand and will check that out.

This was as much of a scouting mission as anything, I learned a lot in a couple of hours to apply later.

Confidence was super high, I felt really good about how I got in there and hunted and got back out, and what I saw / learned! I think I'm going to like this style a lot!
HuntThis

Unread postby HuntThis » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:40 am

I recently did something similar. I had scouted an area before the season and really liked it. I saw some signs, the land looked right, etc.

I went back this past weekend and saw one set of prints. That was it. Disappointed, I decided to switch modes and try something "blind". Quickly resorting to the tactics I've learned on here. I ended up setting up about 500 yards away and saw several deer that night that I would't have seen in the original spot. I was prepared (from my scouting and ariel shots), gps apps, etc to make the quick change in strategy and also confident that it could be done because so many beasts on here have shared their story.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”