First Filmed Hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PLB
500 Club

Re: First Filmed Hunt

Unread postby PLB » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:31 am

Cool!! Was that other buck in the background bigger?? Or same size?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Mibowhunter91

Unread postby Mibowhunter91 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:43 am

jarang1128 wrote:Awesome video, good job. Can you comment on some of the decisions you made- ie equipment that you ended up getting, how you set things up, how much of a learning curve you felt there was..... what your going to look to improve

I'm interested in this info as well me and my hunting buddy have been talkin about trying to film a few hunts

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:28 am

Looks like his twin brother got away...

Great video - Spectacular! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:30 am

Good shot. My very first bow buck fell on the spot just like that one did.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
wibowhunt4me

Unread postby wibowhunt4me » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:15 pm

To answer some questions for you guys. the 8pt you see in the background of my shot at the 10pt is actually the buck you see in the beginning of the footage. I saw that buck first and started filming. When he is in the background of me shooting the 10pt he is on a trail that runs down to the bottom of the ridge and leads out to the 2 acre food plot the neighbors have. I think the 8pt really wanted to go down the ridge but he wasn't leaving with out that 10pt. As for the size of the deer I believe that they both would score about the same on a pope and young system. The 8pt is a little wider and taller but with the 2 extra points on the 10pt they are about even. I actually hope my son gets a chance at the 8pt. This buck is what I consider to be a borderline shooter. Definitely would be shooting the last day of the season but very hard to shoot the first day. He just gave me to easy of a shot. As for the shot itself the deer does drop about 10inches in slow motion. I was very disgusted with the shot myself until I played the footage is slow motion actually could see how much he dropped. I had spent a lot of time this year shooting 3d tournaments and an actual league. I did kind of feel some pressure when it actually came to filming the hunt. I would loose sight of the deer when trying to get the bow or trying to get the camera in focus. In the one shot where there looks to be nothing going on in the beginning the 8 pt is between 2 trees and all you can see is the rack turning. I had the camera on auto focus instead of manual focus to stay on the deer and not the fore ground. All in all I feel pretty luck that this hunt took place in an area that was pretty open making it easier to get good footage. I think I would of failed miserably if I would be in a lot of the tight quarters I am use to hunting. There was a lot of footage I just cropped because I was out of focus or I lost the deer in the camera. After talking with Bowhunter 15 he gave me some more tips like zooming out when moving the camera to stay on the deer. When I make the final video I will be adding the b roll footage actually planting the food plot, climbing the tree, the bow on the hanger, the draw of the bow, and other little tid bits to make it a more polished products. All of this are things I talked to Bowhunter 15. As for camera choices and camera arm I talked a lot with Bowhunter15 and bought the same equipment he uses. He has upgraded to a DSLR camera for most of his hunts now. I really like the footage he produces so I started watching E bay. I used a Cannon Vixia HF S10 and the Hunting Beast camera arm. The camera I got off of Ebay for $400. It came with a shotgun mic, two batteries, charger, wide angle lens, and a mini gorilla pod tripod. Plus a carrying case. The lady I bought it from did professional wedding videos and it was her secondary camera. I wish I could afford the software Bowhunter 15 uses but I am not a students so it would cost me about $3000 to purchase. So I am looking at using Power DVD 14 for editing software. The cost is about $100 and should be able to do what I want. As for the Beast Camera Arm I really like it but would like to a add another arm to it so I could wrap it completely around me in case of the deer coming in from behind me. I would like to add a go pro for a secondary camera angle on me and if I was really feeling rich I would get a couple of go pros and surround the tree. You actually remotely control up to 50 go pros with one remote for a variety of camera angles. But that is more weight to carry and more time messing with set up. Probably just go with one. I hope this helps and thanks for all the insights.
aspire to inspire before you expire
Mibowhunter91

Unread postby Mibowhunter91 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:57 pm

Thanks for the details

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”