Almost a costly hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wlog
500 Club

Almost a costly hunt

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:57 pm

Saturday evening I went out to a public spot I scouted in the spring. When I got back to the spot I didn't find any fresh sign. I decided to keep walking the transition until I found good buck sign. The further I got the thicker and nastier it got. I was getting tangled up and making too much noise even if I did find good sign.

It was getting late and I had made such a racket I decided I was just gonna keep scouting and loop back around towards the truck. I stopped to take a little break, set my bow down and OH CRAP! My quiver was gone. It came off somewhere crawling through the thick brush. I started back tracking and eventually found it laying on the bank of a deep creek I crossed.

That was a close one. I wasn't looking forward to dropping another $100+ on new arrows and broadheads and quiver.

I did manage to find some good buck sign before I left so it wasn't a complete waste.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
PK_
500 Club

Re: Almost a costly hunt

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:01 pm

Jeez, yea I lost my thermacell last weekend crawling through brush. I was pretty upset having to finish the weekend without it AND having to buy another, and holder...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:20 pm

Glad you found your arrows.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:20 pm

It seems like most times I'm on the finding end but luck ran out. A plastic breathmint tin FULL of milkweed fell out of my pocket. Hope nothing else walks off. Is there a thread for things found hunting?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:33 pm

I have lost a camera during a hunt and a cell phone. My biggest issue was I always forgot to bring something. Everything stays in the trunk of the car now 24/7 during hunting season, except the bow is put in the house. Glad you found your quiver.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:37 pm

Lost and then found my quiver a few times already. Makes your heart skip a beat when you notice it's gone and your hunt may be done.

Last weekend after dark I was walking out in some extremely thick stuff and noticed I was missing an arrow in my quiver. Thinking well there goes $25 with arrow, head and lighted nock I turned on my light to check the rest of the arrows in my quiver. Out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of fluorescent orange. Ended up being one of my vanes and the arrow was hanging in the brush. If it would have fell to the ground I never would have found it. Wish it always ended that well. :lol:
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:55 pm

I lost my thermacell last weekend, and this saturday I lost my bow sling... BUT I found one of my gloves I wasn't sure if I was missing! Pretty good for a 1+ mile walk...
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:07 pm

Opening day this year I had the same thing happen to me. I went back three times with help to search and finally found it where I crawled across a creek. I never would have found it without the gps. After looking really well twice, I considered it a lost cause, so I went and bought new arrows since I was down to 2. At least now I won't have to buy arrows for a long time.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:28 pm

I have disced up a cell phone doing plots before. I waited for a cell tower to grow but must not have had the ph right for it:)

Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:27 am

That would have sucked. I lost my GPS once scouting. Looked for it for a day and a half before I found it. I lost it in the marsh :shock:
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:51 am

HoosierG5 wrote:I have disced up a cell phone doing plots before. I waited for a cell tower to grow but must not have had the ph right for it:)
Haha, now that is funny.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
DrHogFan

Unread postby DrHogFan » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:50 pm

In a few centuries archeologists will find numerous primitive lighting sources, known by the natives as "Mag Lites" in the bottoms where I duck hunt. I swear I've lost at least 10 in my days.

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:19 pm

I did the same thing earlier this year but didn't get as lucky. Walked about a 1.5 miles back on some public land and hunted. When I was coming out over half way out I noticed I lost my quiver and arrows. Went back and searched and searched. Never did find them. Glad you were able to find yours.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”