How do deer exit standing corn?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dennism

How do deer exit standing corn?

Unread postby dennism » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:01 am

Hey guys. I just got an opportunity to hunt a pretty big chunk of private land with standing corn. I've never been able to hunt around corn before so my question is what direction would deer leave standing corn if they were bedded in it? I'm not sure how long I'll be able to hunt this piece of property so any tips that you guys may have experienced around standing corn would be very helpful! Thanks!

jessejames

Re: How do deer exit standing corn?

Unread postby jessejames » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:13 am

Look for water ways with tall grass they travel them .

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:35 am

Can you post an areal?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dennism

Unread postby dennism » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:01 pm

It's sorta a weird shaped piece of property. The corn is in that back field, plus the bigger field to the south west is more corn. I hunted there tonight didn't see anything come out of the corn. It felt weird hunting a field edge, I had 0 confidence that anything nice would show. So what do you guys think? Is it worth hunting a coupl;e of times?
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:45 pm

I thought i remembered Andrea talking about this. I think he said he would find his entry trail an he would normally exit the same way he went in.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:51 pm

What direction was the wind? I hope it wasn't west.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:59 pm

I thought i remembered Andrea talking about this. I think he said he would find his entry trail an he would normally exit the same way he went in.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:00 pm

Unless there is heavy grass, or a drainage (which I don't see in your pic) I would not expect the mature bucks to be bedded in the corn... Sometimes in areas with very open mature woods and heavy hunting pressure bucks will bed in corn, but really corn does not give them the essentials they need in a bed.
Mature bucks want to be able to see, smell, or hear any thing getting within a certain distance to them. If A coyote can just run up a corn row on a cross wind right to him he is not safe... If there is heavy grass, or a tree island, or brush line, or canal in there, then yea, I could see potential.

My bet is they are traveling to the corn from the outside.
dennism

Unread postby dennism » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:33 pm

The wind last night was supposed to be SSW but was pretty much nonexistent. Milkweed would go up then to the east. Not too much sign around the property that I've seen. The woods are pretty much wide open and there's a pretty big swamp/lowland area to the north that the river runs through.

Thanks foe the input guys.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:03 pm

dennism wrote:The wind last night was supposed to be SSW but was pretty much nonexistent. Milkweed would go up then to the east. Not too much sign around the property that I've seen. The woods are pretty much wide open and there's a pretty big swamp/lowland area to the north that the river runs through.

Thanks foe the input guys.

What do you mean by "Not too much sign"? No tracks? No sign of corn browse along the field edges? It will be tough hunting if you have no deer...

The river bottom sounds promising, but is the middle field all grass? If so, I'd strongly consider there too.
dennism

Unread postby dennism » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:43 am

The sign I saw was just some doe/small buck tracks. I shot a doe Friday that was bedded in the front swale. I was also thinking that stream up by the road it's super thick in there. I wasn't sure if there was a general rule on how deer exit corn like wind to back....

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:26 am

dennism wrote:The sign I saw was just some doe/small buck tracks. I shot a doe Friday that was bedded in the front swale. I was also thinking that stream up by the road it's super thick in there. I wasn't sure if there was a general rule on how deer exit corn like wind to back....

They just come walking out... No relation to wind.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”