Is it worth hunting in the morning?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Is it worth hunting in the morning?

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:11 pm

It's supposed to be very windy with rain and flurrys. Do you think they would be moving because of this or sitting tight?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Dewey

Re: Is it worth hunting in the morning?

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:30 pm

Hard to say but I have seen many of my largest bucks on days just like that. Tomorrow is a good moon day for a morning hunt. Might catch one getting back to bedding late especially with the overcast sky.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:50 pm

I love hunting windy days. Killed a good number of nice bucks in the wind.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:01 am

I like hunting cold windy days because it really concentrates the deer in hill country in the most protected cover but when it is stormy as well in my experience deer sit pretty tight. I would save my energy till when the weather breaks, the next 3 days should have really good movement.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:08 am

Tomorrow AM is worth sitting.... I will be in a tree

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:39 am

I agree, it is a good morning to sit.

Plus, with the wind deer can be jumpy and you might get lucky to have one pushed your way by another hunter..
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:48 am

Try to take advantage of the duck hunters here in Wisconsin as its opening weekend. I'm Trying to divise a plan to do just that. Sunday morning might be worth it if you can make the pressure work for you.....this in addition to the great moon phase and weather.
Personally, im leaning toward duck hunting in the morning and deer in the afternoon

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:34 am

I've been meaning to post about this topic for awhile, so I'm glad someone did. Hope you don't mind PredatorTC if I ask a couple follow up questions.

1- Is there a point where windy becomes too windy (for deer movement)? Obviously, outside of like a tornado or something have you found the wind can get to a point where deer will feel nervous moving around, maybe because it messes with their ability to hear what's going on?

2- What about rain? Is there a point where rain is too hard and deer stay put?

3- Last one- I'm reading a book where the author says hunting just before the onset of a snow storm or as its letting off can be really good times to see deer- his theory is they act on instinct to fill up in order to ride out the storm and then need to fill up again after. Has that been your experience? What about rain? Would the same idea apply?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:58 am

JoeRE wrote:I like hunting cold windy days because it really concentrates the deer in hill country in the most protected cover but when it is stormy as well in my experience deer sit pretty tight. I would save my energy till when the weather breaks, the next 3 days should have really good movement.

I agree with this statement for the next couple of weeks of the lull.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:38 am

I guess Im the odd one here. Im not a fan of windy days, hunted last night and this morning in the high winds. Only deer that came through was about an hour before daylight this morning. In my opinion a deer is far more volnerable when they cant hear, see or smell as well. I will take a 10mph wind over 25 any day if I had the choice

ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:41 am

I have been backing off on mornings lately but with this cold front, Im gonna try to get out. Definitely tonight, HOPEFULLY I get permission from the wife for otmorrow morning too. Tough having a young family.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
I_Love_Scotch

Unread postby I_Love_Scotch » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:38 am

I think hunting in the wind is tough but if you know how it reacts to your terrain then you can be successful. Deer movement is great in the wind...whether the wind whips around the terrain and they smell you before you see them is another story.

Mornings can be great if you have good access. I can't hunt most of my early season properties in the morning because I have to cross feeding areas to get to the bedding areas. I'd go for it if you have a buck patterned in daylight and you have good access.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:43 am

SonofUlam wrote:I've been meaning to post about this topic for awhile, so I'm glad someone did. Hope you don't mind PredatorTC if I ask a couple follow up questions.

1- Is there a point where windy becomes too windy (for deer movement)? Obviously, outside of like a tornado or something have you found the wind can get to a point where deer will feel nervous moving around, maybe because it messes with their ability to hear what's going on?

2- What about rain? Is there a point where rain is too hard and deer stay put?

3- Last one- I'm reading a book where the author says hunting just before the onset of a snow storm or as its letting off can be really good times to see deer- his theory is they act on instinct to fill up in order to ride out the storm and then need to fill up again after. Has that been your experience? What about rain? Would the same idea apply?

In my opinion, its never too windy, but that's for hunting hills meaning the deer (and I) can get out of the wind. I have had some fantastic hunting down low and on leeward hillsides when 40+ mph wind was roaring over the bluffs above. I could see flat land being different.

I like hunting a light rain and just AFTER a rain but when its raining hard I just stay inside and dry. Some guys claim to have gotten onto good bucks in a hard rain but I have never tried so I wouldn't know, have never really felt the need to.

A big approaching storm means the barometer is probably falling like a rock, and that means great deer movement because you are correct deer are probably preparing by filling their stomachs. Just like after a storm (the barometer is often rapidly rising signaling high pressure and fair weather moving in) they move well too.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”