Buck Staging and Getting a Drink

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Buck Staging and Getting a Drink

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:03 am

The hill country video has a good example of man-made waterholes and deer getting a drink. I'm more interested in buck bedding and the big fella getting a drink right before and after bedding from a natural water source. We speak of bucks bedding and staging toward the outer limit of what they can see / hear /smell as they prepare to move toward food or toward doe's. But what about bucks staging directly toward natural water sources immediately adjacent to buck bedding areas before they move toward food or female deer? Whether its a creek, seep, river or pond...

Early season and the rut are really prime time for bucks to do this, and I know some guys like to hunt water next to bedding during the middle of the day when it's a drought or really hot. But this thread is about guys seeing and killing bucks early and late preparing to get a drink either right before they bed, or when they get up late in the day from their bedding spot... and I know guys that are killing big bucks doing this very thing. I'm interested in hearing of the experiences of fellow Beasts when it comes to buck's getting a drink, and how close to the buck's bed he was when he got shot-

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Buck Staging and Getting a Drink

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:40 pm

Some big bucks are going down next to natural water sources just off of buck bedding... did I mention this already? :mrgreen:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”