Worst States to Hunt in...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Dewey

Re: Worst States to Hunt in...

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:47 am

Yeah WI sucks. I wouldn't waste your money on a non-resident tag here!! :mrgreen:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

adudeuknow

Unread postby adudeuknow » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:58 am

I love PA deer hunting. I use the general ignorance of most hunters to my favor and somehow seem to shoot nice buck after nice buck. I'm not really one of those #'s guys that is all about getting my name in a book as I have never entered any buck but the smallest PA deer out of the last 5 I have taken was 136".
"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me."
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:08 am

Good news for us NYers is that if you kill a 3.5, you are in the top 18%. :dance: I am moving to another crappy deer state like WI.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:55 am

Kansas is terrible...... :cry:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:20 am

fl sucks, southern mi is about as bad as western ny

Surprised to see Wisconsin on there. The list is pretty similar to P&Y/B&C maps for the north eastern guys

Neighbors to the south of the farm own a old rr bed that's 110ft wide by 1.5 mi long as their hunting camp. Near 30 stands and they shoot at anything that crosses. Our local gun hunter density has to be the highest in the U.S. and our DEC could not manage a Dunkin Donuts let alone an animal herd, hunters or factual information. Ever hear of a phone in system that can age a buck by the number of antler points?

15 years ago we needed a special permit with three guys to shoot a doe on the farm, 60000 permits for that county alone this season , 5 yrs from now we won't see a deer.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
VT Outfitter

Unread postby VT Outfitter » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:06 pm

This is a bunch of bull! I have seen some of the best deer of my life in NY, and I have guided and hunted in Illinois and Indiana. It is all depending on where in a state that you live in and how experienced you are. Luck plays a huge role in the whole game as well. 4-5 years ago there was a report that came out that stated Missouri had the highest deer density per square mile than any other state. I guided for some clients from Missouri. I told them about the "deer report", their response was " if the deer hunting was that good or good at all, we would have stayed home instead of booking a trip".
Whitetail Strategies Guide Service
www.whitetailstrategies.net
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:10 pm

Yup, Missouri is terrible also...... :cry:
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:27 pm

Zap wrote:Yup, Missouri is terrible also...... :cry:

Lol

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:52 pm

Iowa is washed up too. :cry: :liar:
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:53 pm

Yea! Ny is sucking hind tit. I agree with the list. :violin:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:02 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:

Iowa is washed up too. :cry: :liar:

:P
adudeuknow

Unread postby adudeuknow » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:36 pm

I don't hunt NY but know a few people who live there who like big bucks and have seen some amazing deer on film and in the back of their trucks.
"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me."
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:11 pm

adudeuknow wrote:I don't hunt NY but know a few people who live there who like big bucks and have seen some amazing deer on film and in the back of their trucks.

There here, you just have to hunt for them. Some people just want everything handed over.

NY has a lot of variation in it's deer throughout the state. For the really big racks it certainly helps to be in an area that has a lot of them. I hunt a lot of areas where a buck can only gross a hundred inches at 4-1/2. Other areas you get that with 2-1/2 year olds.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:24 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Bummer Wisconsin is so bad, I might stay home this weekend....

[ Post made via Android ] Image

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:26 pm

I grew up in NY and now live in NJ. I think both states are sleeper states. (In many areas) Most hunters most likely keep there success to their inner circle. (Over populated with lazy, jealous hunters, why broadcast their success?) There are places that are great and many places that get pounded. Comes down to scouting and doing your homework. You can hunt with a bow from mid Sept to mid Feb in many zones in NJ. Last year, some author in one of these "reliable magazines" ranked NJ as a top smoke pole state? They are not like the mid west, but still good hunting if someone is determined..... 3 years ago a 200"ish buck was killed less than 2 miles from one of my best spots. Look up Long Island and Westchester stats, as well as western NY and central NJ. I know of a group of guys from VT that spend a week driving NJ during ML and some of, or all of six day buck week.

If there is a will there is a way". I was after a 8 with 9" brows and about 20" spread, I had my sights on this year, then I went and blew up my knee the night before opening day this year :angry-banghead:

The opening statement sounds like they are talking about outfitted hunts.... Take a good sized handful of guys from here and I bet they would kill slobs every year, in most of these states.
Last edited by Milk Weed Seed on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”