Worst States to Hunt in...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampbuck

Re: Worst States to Hunt in...

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:34 pm

Hmmm, how is this data obtained??

Louisiana has no requirement of reporting any of this info... only way I could see them getting this is from managed land part of qdma which isn't representative at all

I suspect this info is severely jaded

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Make It Happen
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:41 am

I would agree with NY and VT being at the top of this list. However, I think they don't include western New York where deer are definitely plentiful!
-Rick
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:36 am

Didn't figure I was going to kill a Booner on my deer/bear trip to NY this fall. It's more about the experience and hanging out with friends. ;)
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:31 am

Swampbuck wrote:Hmmm, how is this data obtained??

Louisiana has no requirement of reporting any of this info... only way I could see them getting this is from managed land part of qdma which isn't representative at all

I suspect this info is severely jaded

Im guessing some of their research is described here.
http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting/deer-program-overview-and-research-projects

I know in Michigan biologist go to processors and look at deer to gather "real" data. They can see trends in age/health/etc.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:24 am

Any state has opportunity and the deeper you dig the better your odds. I think the NE really differs with the number of mature bucks (being fewer than the Midwest per se) and the number of hunters being far larger. As stated before if you look at hunter numbers for NY they're up there but when you realize that most of these guys hunt a portion of the state the density goes up a ton. Good deer are here and some are even on state land but the pressure is insane. Next yr we will have an ml season in sept. Lots of nuisance hunting already all summer. Bow oct1-nov 15. Youth gun the second week of October. Gun from November 15 through mid December. Gun hunters rule these areas and drive everything they won't get arrested on. lots of lawlessness in western ny. Baiting, untangled and extra deer, jack lighting, etc there are not encon guys to enforce. Best thing I ever did for deer hunting was learn I could hunt out of state - but then again Iscout/hunt my a$$ off here. 90-95% of hunters here lack skills, preparation or ability to walk more than a1/4 mi. Their laziness leave opportunity to others.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
monkatopaints

Unread postby monkatopaints » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:20 am

I'm surprised to read about all the yearling buck harvests in 2013 from that article. Sad to know that half of the spikes and forks I've seen this year will be gone. C'mon WI we can do better than that! We can be the best state to hunt!
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:13 am

gjs4 wrote:Any state has opportunity and the deeper you dig the better your odds. I think the NE really differs with the number of mature bucks (being fewer than the Midwest per se) and the number of hunters being far larger. As stated before if you look at hunter numbers for NY they're up there but when you realize that most of these guys hunt a portion of the state the density goes up a ton. Good deer are here and some are even on state land but the pressure is insane. Next yr we will have an ml season in sept. Lots of nuisance hunting already all summer. Bow oct1-nov 15. Youth gun the second week of October. Gun from November 15 through mid December. Gun hunters rule these areas and drive everything they won't get arrested on. lots of lawlessness in western ny. Baiting, untangled and extra deer, jack lighting, etc there are not encon guys to enforce. Best thing I ever did for deer hunting was learn I could hunt out of state - but then again Iscout/hunt my a$$ off here. 90-95% of hunters here lack skills, preparation or ability to walk more than a1/4 mi. Their laziness leave opportunity to others.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

All very true.

Can I ask where you heard about a September ML season?

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:00 am

ozzz wrote:Michigan, here I come!

:laughing-rolling:
Your about to find solid proof that just because somebody is a writer doesn't mean they know diddly squat.

Then again, if you get to hunt the farm belt of southern Michigan you can find some awesome hunting.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:13 am

I cant complain about Michigan hunting... we might not have the largest deer but we have a ton of deer. Ive never struggled to put meat in the freezer.. our problem is we have a ton of hunters also... every parcel is hunted... shooting shacks are as common as swing sets in peoples back yards.. it is what it is and I think alot of us make the best of it.... Michigan hunters sit in shacks over bait piles n guys out west drive up n down the roads all day road hunting... it leaves the woods open for the guys that wanna work hard.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”